Made in only 5 minutes, this sour apple smoothie provides a nice twist on your typical smoothie flavours. Sweet and sour, completely refreshing, and loaded with nutrients!. With hints of sweetness and tart throughout, you’re going to love this nutritious drink.
This recipe was originally published in April 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
This smoothie is nutritious, featuring veggies like cucumber and baby spinach, and even though it’s green which might scare some of you off, I promise it’s super tasty!
Unlike most smoothies, this one does not begin with a banana.
Instead, I’m using some juicier fruit and veggie options here like cucumber and granny smith apple. Rather than a thick and creamy smoothie, this is a little more like a slushy, using ice to give it some thickness and texture.
Some added bonuses are this smoothie is naturally vegan, dairy free, gluten free and soy free, making it an allergen friendly option.
You’re going to love this sweet and sour apple smoothie!
How to make a sour apple smoothie?
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Grab your ingredients.
Cut off a wedge of cucumber about 3 inches long, or one third of a cup worth and grab a small handful of baby spinach. No need to measure.
Add all the ingredients to your blender and process until smooth. (photo 1)
NOTE: If you do not have a high speed blender, make sure to add the ice last so your blender isn’t struggling to crush it.
Serve immediately and enjoy.
- If you don’t have a powerful blender, like a Vitamix or Blendtec, make sure to add the ice last. Doing so will get your apple and cucumber blended easier and create liquid to help break down the ice cubes. If your blender is still struggling, add a tablespoon or two of water to get it going.
- Serve immediately. Make sure to enjoy straight away, as the slushiness will start to separate from the liquid as it sits.
- Make it a cocktail! Add a splash or two of vodka to this sour apple smoothie and you’ve got a healthier version of a sour apple martini.
More smoothie recipes
- Healthy Banana Walnut Smoothie
- No Banana Smoothie [High Protein]
- Healthy Iced Mocha [Low Sugar]
- Mango Spinach Smoothie [that doesn’t taste green]
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 granny smith apple core removed
- ½ lemon juiced
- ⅓ cup cucumber roughly 3" slice/wedge
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Add all your ingredients to a blender and process until smooth. Enjoy immediately.