A healthy iced chocolate that’s low in sugar, naturally sweetened and incredibly delicious. This no guilt vegan iced coffee can be yours in under 5 minutes!
This recipe was originally published in June 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
When it’s a sunny day and you’re craving one of those iced beverages from your favourite coffee shop, I urge you to try this healthy alternative.
It’s just as delicious, but lower in sugar, calories and low fat, too.
What’s a mochaccino?
A mochaccino (or mochachino) is a chocolate flavoured coffee beverage.
Some include chocolate milk, others cocoa powder, or melted chocolate sauce. There’s always coffee included, often espresso. Plus, a dairy (or non dairy) beverage and sweetener.
How is it healthier?
- Omit the sugar, and use dates and ripe banana to sweeten.
- Swap high fat milk for a low calorie and low fat version, like most plant based milk varities.
- No chocolate here, just unsweetened cocoa powder for its chocolatey flavour.
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients, you’ll only need a handful.
Add everything to a high speed blender and process until smooth. (photos 1-2)
Easy peasy! Now pour your vegan iced coffee into a glass, add some frothed milk and dusting of cocoa powder or cinnamon, and enjoy!
Can I make any substitutions?
- You may use any plant milk of choice: almond, coconut, cashew, oat, etc. But use unsweetened to keep this healthy iced chocolate free from refined sugar.
- I use pitted dates for convenience, but Medjool dates are perfectly fine, too.
- If you don’t have a frozen banana available, you may use fresh, but add an additional ⅓ cup of ice cubes.
- Use a very ripe banana that’s been frozen for the best results. If you’ve been freezing your brown bananas to make banana bread one day, that’s exactly the kind of banana you want for this vegan iced coffee.
- If you have a sweet tooth, add a couple of extra dates. You can start with 2-3, then taste and add more, if needed, and re-blend.
- Don’t have a powerful blender? Pre-soak your dates in cool water for about 15-20 minutes and then drain and blend. This will help soften them and prevent crumbly bits in your vegan iced mocha.
More delicious cold drinks
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
- Mango Spinach Smoothie [that doesn’t taste green]
- Sour Apple Smoothie
- Healthy Banana Walnut Smoothie
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- frothed milk
- more cocoa powder
- Add all the ingredients to your blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a glass and garnish if you'd like. Enjoy.