Grilling season is finally here, and I’m loving all the grilled veggies to tag along my main dishes. There’s something about the grilling process that really amplifies the flavour of vegetables. Whether it’s grilled peppers, grilled zucchini, or in this case, grilled tomatoes with my homemade chimichurri sauce! Yum yum yum!
Which tomatoes are best for grilling?
I prefer grilling beefsteak tomatoes as they are usually quite large in size, making them resilient to the grilling process.
Plus, they have a meaty texture and great flavour!
If you can’t find beefsteak tomatoes in your supermarket, they may be labelled as hot house tomatoes, so grab those instead.
How to prepare grilled tomatoes
Depending on the size of your tomatoes, either slice them in half, or in thirds. You want your slices around 1/2″ in thickness so they hold up on the grill.
After tossing your tomatoes in the marinade, place them on your grill and brush the tops with a generous amount of the chimichurri sauce.
Cook the tomatoes about 5 minutes over high heat and then flip them over.
Baste the other side with more chimichurri and grill for an additional 5 minutes, or until you have nice grill lines.
Be mindful not to overcook the tomatoes or they will start to fall apart.
Serve your grilled tomatoes alongside these Vegan Chicken Burgers or use as a topping on toast.
To add a little sweetness, drizzle your tomatoes with some balsamic glaze once they’re done. This will add a nice pop of colour too!
For more delicious seasonal recipes, have a look at this EPIC collection of over 100 vegan, perfect for summer recipes!
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes ripe but firm
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 portion chimichurri sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, lime juice and salt and set aside.
- Halve your tomatoes or cut in thirds if tomatoes are very large. You want roughly 1/2" thick tomato slices. Add the tomatoes to your marinade bowl and mix to coat.
- Turn on your grill to high heat and place the tomatoes in a single layer, basting the tops with the chimichurri sauce. Cook for 5 minutes, or until grill marks form. Then flip over and baste the other side with more chimichurri and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Do not overcook or the tomatoes will get too soft.