This healthy coleslaw salad has a little twist. No mayo here, just a healthy, protein dense, homemade peanut dressing, that also happens to be oil free, dairy free, and gluten free! The crunchy cabbage combines perfectly with the rich, peanuty, spicy dressing.
How to make healthy coleslaw salad
To make this salad, I use my Veggie Bullet shredder attachment, but a food processor will also do the trick!
Just shred all your veggies (except the cilantro) and combine them in a large bowl. Finely chop your cilantro and add to the bowl. Or you may sub for parsley instead.
I’ve heard some people HATE cilantro and say it tastes like soap? Has anyone else heard of this? I haven’t always loved cilantro, it actually took some time to grow on me. But now I can’t get enough.
Anyhow, any green herb you like will do the trick here.
Once your coleslaw is mixed, prepare the dressing. Add all the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. I use a fork to help the peanut butter break down and blend well into the other ingredients.
When ready to serve, garnish the salad with lime wedges and more cilantro (or parsley) if desired. Serve the dressing on the side, or pour if over your salad and mix until evenly coated.
How long does it keep?
You may prepare the salad well ahead of time, at least 2-3 days and store in the refrigerator, as long as it’s not dressed.
Store the peanut dressing in a separate container and when ready to serve, you may dress your salad.
More healthy salad recipes
- Strawberry Spinach Salad w/ Berry Basil Dressing
- Citrus Spinach Quinoa Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
- Cranberry Broccoli Salad with Cran Lemon Dressing
- White Bean Cabbage Salad w/ Avocado Orange Dressing
- Asian Quinoa Salad [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Winter Orange Kale Salad w/ Oil Free Citrus Dressing
For The Salad
- 1/2 small purple cabbage shredded
- 1/2 small green cabbage shredded
- 2 large carrots peeled & shredded
- 1 small red onion shredded
- 1 cup cilantro chopped (or parsley)
- Combine all your salad ingredients in a large bowl or serving dish. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients, using a fork to help the peanut butter incorporate.
- When ready to serve, toss the salad with the dressing and enjoy.