This orange kale salad AKA winter kale salad is fresh and citrusy, with hints of sweetness and tart in every bite. Rich in flavour, but only a handful of ingredients required. Ready in 20 minutes or less!
This recipe was originally published in February 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
There’s something especially “wintery” about this orange kale salad. But feel free to enjoy it any time of year!
Why you’ll love it
- Wholesome and nutritious! Kale is a powerhouse for nutrition, add some chickpeas and hemp hearts to the mix and you’ve got a seriously nutrient dense dish.
- Low in calories for a generous portion, including the dressing!
- No oil. This salad AND the citrus dressing are completely free from oil, making it suitable for a WFPB (whole food plant based) diet.
- Free from preservatives, artificial colours and flavours. Unlike most store bought salad dressings, this one is made using just 5 wholesome ingredients!
- Such few ingredients, but so much deliciousness! You’re going to love this orange kale salad with it’s fresh, citrusy flavours.
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Begin by gathering your ingredients.
Tear the kale into large bite sized pieces, removing the thick stems and rinse thoroughly. Then add to a large mixing bowl. (photo 1)
Pour the lemon juice on top of your kale and use your hands to massage the leaves. Continue doing so for about 2-3 minutes until the leaves are soft and slightly wilted. (photos 2-4)
Then combine all the ingredients for the orange dressing and whisk well to combine. (photos 5-8)
Add the chickpeas and hemp hearts to your bowl of kale, and then pour the orange dressing on top. (photos 9-10)
Mix well to evenly distribute the dressing and then garnish with the orange segments. Enjoy!
What else can I add?
Make it festive and add some dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds.
Or add a handful of raisins, chopped dried figs or chopped dates for extra sweetness.
Make sure to massage the kale. Don’t skip this step. It only takes 2-3 minutes of time and the results are well worth the effort.
Use freshly squeezed orange juice for the absolute best flavour.
If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, sub for white wine vinegar or white balsamic with similar results.
More delicious salads & dressings
- Cranberry Broccoli Salad w/ Poppy Seed Dressing
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- Cabbage Quinoa Salad with Oil Free Vinaigrette
- Vegan Cobb Salad with Tangy Cheesy Dressing
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Quinoa Pasta Salad [Healthy + Low Cal]
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
For the Salad
- 6 packed cups kale about 1 large bunch, thick stems removed and kale torn into large bite sized pieces
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice approx. half a large lemon
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts or raw pepitas or sunflower seeds
- 1 orange peeled & segmented
For the Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice approx. 1 medium orange
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Tear your kale into large bite sized pieces and remove the thick stems and discard them. Rinse thoroughly and then add to a large mixing bowl. Pour the lemon juice on top and massage the kale with your hands for 2-3 minutes. This will gently wilt and soften the kale.
- Add the chickpeas and hemp hearts to the same bowl and set aside.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine. Then pour the dressing on your salad and mix well to evenly distribute.
- Garnish with the orange segments and enjoy.