A rich and creamy dish that’s loved by kids and adults alike! This avocado mac and cheese is so simple to prepare, secretly healthy, and wonderfully delicious! Ready in 20 minutes or less!
This recipe was originally published in March 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
A kid friendly dish that they will absolutely LOVE that’s FAR healthier than boxed varieties! Just like my sweet potato mac, there’s hidden, nutrient dense ingredients! This vegan avocado mac has got it all!
You’re going to love it!
- It’s rich and flavourful with just a few ingredients needed.
- So simple to make, just boil some water and cook your pasta while you blend up your sauce. Easy peasy!
- Perfect for busy weeknights and ready in 20 minutes or less!
- Warming and comforting, like any good pasta dish!
What you’ll need
This super simple dish requires just 1 pot and a blender, plus a handful of ingredients. Most of which you probably already have on hand in your fridge or pantry.
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Begin by bringing a salted pot of water on your stove top to a boil. Then cook your pasta of choice, according to package directions for al dente pasta. Once cooked, drain and return to the pot.
Meanwhile, add all of the sauce ingredients to your blender and process until smooth and creamy. (photos 1-2)
Then pour the avocado sauce on your cooked macaroni and mix well. (photos 3-4)
That’s it! Incredibly easy and incredibly delicious!
Serve with extra avocado slices or some vegan parmesan cheese, if you’d like. (Highly recommend the vegan parm!)
How long does it keep?
Your avocado mac will keep refrigerated for 2-3 days, if you have leftovers.
To reheat, add some plant milk, broth, or water to a pan to remoisten as the sauce will be absorbed by the pasta as it sits.
I don’t recommend freezing this one, as the pasta’s texture will become too soft.
What Can I Serve with it?
Can I make any substitutions?
To make it oil free, simply omit the optional butter, it will still be great, without it.
For nut free, you may sub the cashews with raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds, with similar results. Also, sub the cashew milk with soy or milk of choice.
Make it gluten free with your favourite variety of gluten free noodles.
If you don’t have lemon, you may sub for apple cider vinegar with similar results.
- If you do not have a high speed blender, make sure to soak your cashews first. Soak in boiling hot water for 30 minutes, then drain and use as directed.
- Salt your pasta cooking water for best results.
- Do not overcook your pasta. Cook according to the package directions for al dente. Pasta tastes best with a little bite, and not overly soft.
More vegan mac and cheese dishes!
- Instant Pot Vegan Mac & Cheese
- Sweet Potato Mac + Cheese
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Vegan Hamburger Helper w/ Soy Curls
- Mac and Thai
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 1 large ripe avocado peel & pit removed
- 1.5 cups unsweetened cashew milk or plant milk of choice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice approx. 1 small lemon or half large
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or avocado oil optional
- 450 grams macaroni pasta gluten free if preferred
- vegan Parmesan cheese highly recommended
- avocado slices
- fresh parsley, chives or dill
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, and cook pasta according to package directions for al dente pasta. Drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, add all your ingredients (except the pasta) to a high speed blender and process until smooth. Pour the sauce over your pasta and mix well.
- Serve with your choice of garnish and enjoy.