Broccoli cheddar soup is immensely comforting. It’s creamy, luscious, and velvety, with tons and tons of mouthwatering flavour. This utterly delicious soup recipe is perfect on a chilly night or any time you’re craving cheesy goodness. Bonus, it’s vegan, gluten free and oil free!
Is it just me, or are you totally obsessed with cheesy soups?
It’s been many years since I had a broccoli cheddar soup from Panera but I haven’t forgotten the thick, creamy, deliciousness. Now I’m not going to call this a Panera copycat broccoli cheddar soup, because let’s face it. There’s no actual cheese in here.
You will be wowed by it’s amazing cheesy flavour.
How do you make broccoli cheddar soup?
Begin by putting some water to boil, either in a kettle or small pot on the stove. Make sure it’s enough to more than cover your cashews and put them to soak for at least 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare your veggies. Peel and chop all your vegetables and don’t worry about perfectly uniform sized pieces since the soup will be pureed later.
The only exception is the broccoli. Make sure to cut your broccoli into small bite size florets since these will remain whole.
Now, add a tablespoon or two of water into a large sauce pot, followed by the onion, carrots and celery. Sauté until softened, and then add the cauliflower, potatoes, nutritional yeast, broth, and all the seasoning to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium low. Cook until vegetables are soft, approx 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile add your broccoli to a small sauce pot or skillet, cover with water and cook until tender, about 4-6 minutes. Don’t overcook.
How do you make vegan cheddar sauce?
While the soup and broccoli are cooking, prepare your vegan cheddar sauce. Drain your cashews, and gather all the remaining ingredients. Add everything to your blender and process on high until smooth and creamy.
Make sure there are no loose bits of cashews floating around, so process a little longer if needed.
By this point, your soup should be cooked. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
Then stir in the broccoli and pour in your cheddar sauce. Mix until combined.
Ladle into bowls and serve. If you want even more added cheesiness, you may sprinkle with some vegan Parmesan cheese. Or add some chili flakes to turn up the heat.
What to serve with broccoli cheddar soup
How long does it keep?
The soup will keep refrigerated for 4-5 days. To reheat, use a deeper pot with a lid and heat over medium low. Because the soup is very thick, heating will cause it to bubble and splash. So keep the lid on to keep your kitchen mess free. 🙂
More favourite soup recipes
- Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
- Vegan Mushroom Soup (Veloute) GF + Oil Free
- Thai Peanut Chickpea Soup Instant Pot
- Dairy Free Jalapeno Popper Soup
- Vegan Chicken Soup w/ Jackfruit & Potato
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 3 large carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 head cauliflower broken into large florets
- 1 lb yellow potatoes peeled & cut into 1" cubes (approx 3.5 cups cubed)
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled & cut into 1" cubes (approx 2.5 cups cubed)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- 1 head broccoli cut into bite size florets, approx 4 cups (or you may use frozen)
- Boil enough water (in a small pot or kettle) to cover your cashews and soak them in the hot water for 15 minutes or longer.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots to a large pot with a tablespoon or two of water. Sauté over medium heat until softened, approx 5 minutes. Add more water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Then add the cauliflower, both potatoes, nutritional yeast, broth and all the seasoning to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium low. Cook until vegetables are soft, approx 8-10 minutes.
- In a separate pot or skillet, cover your broccoli with water and bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer and cook until fork tender, approx 4-6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the soup and broccoli are cooking, prepare your cheddar sauce. Your cashews should be ready by now, so drain them and add them to your blender, along with all remaining cheddar sauce ingredients. Blend on high until smooth and creamy and set aside.
- Using an immersion blender, puree your pot of soup until smooth and creamy. Then stir in your cooked broccoli and cheddar sauce and mix well. Then ladle into bowls and enjoy!