What on earth is vegan chicken soup?
Yes, I realize the conundrum! I more often than not, try to refer to my recipes by what they truly are. For instance, my Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a chickpea salad sandwich, and not a vegan egg salad sandwich.
That being said, I really, really, really couldn’t get on board with calling this a jackfruit, potato, mushroom soup with rice. Right?
And if you’re all for vegan chicken recipes, you won’t want to miss my vegan orange chicken recipe.
Spoiler alert – it’s made using soy curls.
But back to my vegan chicken soup.
I kid you not when I say my husband thought there was turkey or chicken in here when he starting eating his first bowl. (Yes he went for seconds!)
My mom also had a generous bowl and said it reminded her of clam chowder.
My picky nephew even devoured a bowl of this delicious “chicken” soup recipe and loved it.
No one could believe this dish was vegan, nor that there was no chicken in it. It even looks like chicken!! Hence, vegan chicken soup, it is!
Jackfruit is such a great substitute for chicken, not only in this soup recipe, but also in this incredible vegan “chicken” salad too!
How to make vegan chicken soup
Start by washing and cutting all your veggies. If you’re working ahead, you may cut all the veggies and refrigerate overnight until ready to cook your soup.
Then drain and rinse your can of jackfruit and using your hands or two forks, pull apart the chunks to resemble shredded chicken. The jackfruit is very easy to pull apart. The core pieces are a little bit harder, but you can still break it apart with your hands. Don’t toss any of those harder pieces out, use it all in your soup!
Once everything is prepped, begin by sautéing your onion, carrot and celery in a large pot with a tablespoon or two of water. I’m skipping the oil here to keep this dish low in calories. If you prefer, you may sauté in some cooking oil instead.
Once softened, add the mushrooms and peppers and sauté another couple of minutes until reduced.
Then add the potatoes, broth, rice, jackfruit and all the seasoning. Bring your pot to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until your rice is cooked, approx 30 minutes.
While the soup is cooking, toss the tofu in a blender and process until smooth. You may add a drop or two of water if needed to get things moving.
Then once your soup is cooked, turn off the heat, and pour in the blended tofu. Mix well.
If you hate tofu, DON’T WORRY, I promise you won’t even taste it. It just adds a lovely, velvety, creaminess to your soup, and such gorgeous colour. As an added bonus, it amps up the protein content here as well.
Can I make any substitutions?
Feel free to omit or replace any veggies you’re not too keen on. You may add green beans, peas, or asparagus if desired. Or sub the potatoes for sweet potatoes instead. Keep in mind this will make the soup sweeter in flavour.
This soup is relatively allergen friendly. However, if you’re avoiding soy, you may skip the tofu, of course. In its place, you may use a cup or so of plant based milk, such as cashew or coconut milk. Or, blend up some canned white beans and pour that into the soup to up the protein content.
What to serve with vegan chicken soup
Homemade “chicken” soup will keep well for 3-4 days in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Since I’m using rice instead of noodles, you don’t have to worry about any noodles getting too mushy.
You may also freeze leftovers for 4-6 weeks, just thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and reheat on stove top when ready to eat.
Speaking of freezing leftovers, this truly is a great soup to keep portions of in the freezer all winter long. It’s perfect for chilly days, and the ultimate comforting bowl of goodness when you’re battling a cold or flu.
Craving more delicious soup recipes? Try these!
- Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
- 5 Ingredient Creamy Cauliflower Soup [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Thai Peanut Chickpea Soup Instant Pot
- Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
- Or check this complete list of some of the best vegan soups you could ever want!
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled & sliced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 200 g cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 bell peppers chopped, any colour (I used 1 red and 1 yellow)
- 2 lbs yellow potatoes peeled and diced (approx 4-5 cups of diced potatoes)
- 20 oz can young green jackfruit in brine or water, NOT in syrup
- 1 cup brown rice
- 10 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 sage
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 454 g package medium firm tofu always use GMO free when possible
- To a large pot, add your chopped onion, carrots and celery with a tablespoon or two of water and sauté over medium heat until softened, approx 5 minutes. Then add the peppers and mushrooms and sauté another 2-3 minutes, until reduced.
- Add all remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the tofu to your pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer until rice is cooked, approx 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves once cooked.
- Meanwhile, puree your tofu using your blender, and add a drop or two of water if needed to get it moving. Once the soup is cooked, turn off the heat, and pour the tofu into the pot and mix well.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.