Pizza is one of those foods that I could eat every day and never tire of. With tons of crust and topping combinations, there’s always a unique way to enjoy pizza. This oil free polenta pizza crust is naturally gluten free and a fantastic, delicious option for anyone wanting a wheat free pizza. Or just anyone craving pizza!
Polenta pizza is easy to make, and super flavourful. Just top it off with all your favourites and enjoy!
How to make polenta pizza crust
Before you begin, line your 12″ round pizza tray with parchment paper. You want your tray ready so you can transfer the dough once ready.
Now add all the crust ingredients EXCEPT the corn meal to a sauce pot and bring to a low boil over medium heat. You do not want a rolling boil.
Make sure you’ve got your whisk in hand and then pour the corn meal into the boiling broth and whisk continuously. The corn meal will very quickly begin to absorb all the broth and thicken. The process will take less than one minute, so be prepared to work quickly.
When the broth is completely evaporated and you have a thick mixture, remove from the heat immediately and scoop the mixture onto the center of your pizza tray. It will resemble a ball of dough.
The batter will be hot, so start by using a spatula to flatten it out as much as you can. Then you will use your hands to further stretch and thin the dough.
IMPORTANT: Use damp hands to stretch the dough. Work near your sink so you can keep wetting your hands while stretching the dough to the edges of the pan. Using wet hands will prevent the dough from sticking to your fingers and making tears or holes.
If you do happen to make any holes, just wet your fingers again and press the area around it to seal any gaps in the dough. Try and spread the dough as evenly as possible for a nice consistent texture.
Once you’re satisfied with your dough, refrigerate for 30 minutes (or longer) to help it set. During this time, you may prepare your toppings. Always precook your veggies to prevent a soggy pizza dough later. My go to toppings are usually sautéed onions, peppers and mushrooms. Plus whatever I need to use up in my fridge. 🙂
How to bake your polenta pizza crust
When ready to bake, preheat your oven and bake the crust for 20 minutes.
Then carefully flip the dough over, using the parchment paper to help. You no longer need the parchment paper once the dough is flipped, so use it to help flip the crust and then you may discard.
Bake for 10 more minutes. Then remove from the oven and top as desired.
Finally, and this is optional, broil the pizza with its toppings for about 1 minute or so to brown your veggies.
Don’t forget to get creative! I’d love to hear what topping combinations you come up with. If you’re looking for something different, try a Mexican inspired pizza.
Here I use sautéed red and yellow peppers, diced tomato, corn and cilantro. If you take this route, don’t cook the cilantro, just add it over top as a garnish at the end of cooking.
Take this Mexican pizza to the next level by making some easy, delicious guacamole for dipping the crusts! Are you drooling yet? 🙂
More delicious vegan pizza recipes
- Lentil Pizza Crust – Gluten Free
- Socca Three Ways! (Gluten Free Chickpea Flatbread)
- Tomato Basil Veggie Pizza
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup corn meal
- tomato sauce
- red onion
- bell pepper
- black olives
- Line a 12" round pizza tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, add the stock and seasonings and bring to a low boil over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, add the corn meal and whisk continuously until a thick consistency forms. *This will happen quick, about 1 minute, so make sure you're ready, before pouring in the corn meal.*
- Place your dough in the center of your prepared pizza tray and stretch the dough to the edges of your tray as evenly as possible. The dough will be hot so start by using a silicone spatula and then use wet hands. *(See notes)*
- Place the tray in your fridge for at least 30 minutes to help the dough set. Meanwhile, you may prepare your desired toppings. *(See notes)*
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and bake the crust for 20 minutes. Then, very carefully, flip the crust (use the parchment paper to help flip the dough and discard the paper) and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and add desired toppings.
- Switch to broil and return to the oven for 1 minute to brown your toppings, if desired. Watch closely to avoid burning!