This delicious pizza features Instant Pot (or stove top) pulled jackfruit and vegan mozzarella cheese. Yes, vegan mozzarella is a thing! It’s stretchy, it’s melty, and it’s so so good. Ready for this?!
You may remember my recent Pulled Jackfruit Burrito post. Well I’ve one upped myself with this gorgeous, tasty, comforting BBQ jackfruit pizza!
Jackfruit is the perfect texture for a meat replacement, whether it’s being used as pork like in this recipe or as “chicken” in my vegan chicken salad.
How to make pulled jackfruit pizza?
Before you begin, get your cashews soaking to make the vegan mozzarella cheese.
Then begin prepping the jackfruit. Drain and rinse your can of jackfruit, and make sure you’re using canned jackfruit in water or brine, NOT syrup. Pull apart the chunks of jackfruit using two forks or your hands. It will pull apart easily and resembles pulled pork.
Add the jackfruit to your Instant Pot or skillet, depending on your chosen method of cooking. Then whisk together all the sauce ingredients and pour over top.
While the jackfruit is cooking, prepare your vegan mozzarella cheese by blending all the ingredients and cooking according to its directions. Refrigerate until ready for use to help it firm up a bit. Then chop up your onions and any additional toppings if desired.
Finally, you will assemble your pizza with the prepared jackfruit, the vegan mozzarella, and red onion. If needed, you may use gluten free pizza dough or flatbreads.
I found this to be the perfect combination, but as always, your welcome to experiment and add more toppings if desired. Mushrooms and black olives might also make great options.
Once baked, slice and serve with dipping sauce, if desired, or enjoy as is.
This pizza also makes great leftovers and tastes AMAZING eaten cold out of the refrigerator. I love cold pizza, is that weird? This one in particular tastes so so good warm or cold. To reheat, use your oven or toaster oven. The microwave will likely result in a soggy crust.
More vegan pizza recipes you’ll love!
- Oil Free Polenta Pizza Crust
- Lentil Pizza Crust
- Pizza Caprese w/ Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Potato Pizza with Rosemary & Garlic
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
For the Jackfruit
- 20 ounce can of young green jackfruit in brine or water NOT syrup
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce if not avoiding gluten
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
For the Pizza
- 2 12 inch multigrain flatbreads or flatbread/dough of choice in similar size
- 1/2 recipe vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- Start by making your vegan mozzarella cheese. Then refrigerate while you prepare the rest, so it firms up a bit, making it easier to scoop onto your crust.
- Drain and rinse your jackfruit very well to wash off the brine flavour. Then transfer to a food processor and pulse until shredded. Do not over process, you want chunky pieces, not a mince. Alternatively, you may transfer the jackfruit to a cutting board and pull the pieces apart with your fingers or two forks. Set aside.
To Cook the Jackfruit on Stove Top
- Whisk together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the shredded jackfruit in a pan and pour the sauce on top. Sauté over medium heat, mixing occasionally, until the sauce is mostly absorbed. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
To Cook the Jackfruit in your Instant Pot
- Place the shredded jackfruit and all the sauce ingredients in your Instant Pot. (No need to pre-whisk the sauce in a separate bowl.) Mix well, close the lid and set the valve to the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes and let your Instant Pot naturally release, which will take around 10 minutes. If not fully released after 10 minutes, quick release the remaining pressure.
For the Pizza Assembly
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking tray to fit both flatbreads with parchment paper, or use two smaller trays.
- Divide the jackfruit between your two flatbreads, and scoop the vegan mozzarella using a melon baller or teaspoon. Dollop the cheese all over the pizza and sprinkle the red onion on top. Bake for 13-18 minutes, or until edges are golden and mozzarella is slightly melted.