If you’re having trouble getting veggies into your little ones (or yourself), these sneaky zucchini meatballs are for you! Loaded with veggies, and 100% wholesome ingredients, these “meatballs” are just what your dinner menu needs.
Serve with whole grain pasta, or pasta of choice. Or serve them alongside some Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) or Sweet Potato Noodles to really amp up your veggie intake. Meatballs are a classic Italian dish, and this veganized version will excite even your most traditional Italian grandmother. Get ready to be impressed!
What’s so sneaky about these sneaky zucchini meatballs?
Well, they’ve got a ton of zucchini and carrot mixed in providing vitamins and nutrients such as Vitamin A, potassium, fiber, B6 and more!
Plus, the base is made using chickpeas for a healthy dose of protein and iron. Also included are walnuts for additional protein, plus those good for you fats!
You and your kiddos will not taste the chickpeas or veggies in here, I promise. All you taste is a delicious blend of Italian seasoning, and marinara sauce, if using.
How do you make sneaky zucchini meatballs?
To make this simple recipe, just gather and prep your ingredients and add them all to your food processor. Process until combined without over processing, and then form your “meatballs” and bake! Super simple, but also super tasty!
Once baked, serve your zucchini meatballs with your favourite pasta and marinara sauce, or make a meatball sub! Garnish with fresh parsley or basil, and a sprinkling of vegan parmesan cheese if desired. Now dig in!
These “meatballs” are so so good! They’re moist and full of flavour, and loaded with healthy ingredients. They’re baked, and not fried. Plus, they’re oil free, vegan and gluten free. And if I haven’t already mentioned, they are darn delicious!!
For more classic Italian dishes, veganized, be sure to check out these!
- Italian Stuffed Peppers with Tomato Sauce
- Vegan Pumpkin Gnocchi made from scratch!
- Pesto Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles)
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto [V+GF]
- Pasta Aglio e Olio (Pasta w/ Garlic & Oil)
- Seriously the BEST Vegan Lasagna
- Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms with Italian Style Risotto
- 1 cup shredded zucchini approx 1 small zucchini
- 1 cup shredded carrot approx 1 medium carrot
- 1 13.5 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup quick cooking steel cut oats or rolled oats
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce if not avoiding gluten
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until combined, but do not overprocess. Some chunkier pieces is totally fine.
- Divide the mixture into 12 balls and place on your prepared baking tray. Bake for 30-35 minutes until edges are golden brown and meatballs are firm to the touch. Then remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving with your favourite pasta and marinara sauce.