A tangy, flavour-filled vegan cucumber salad you can whip up in just 10 minutes! It’s the perfect, tasty side dish to add some zip to your meal.
This salad recipe is perfect for bringing along to picnics, barbecues, and potlucks because it’s so quick and simple to prepare.
Like our delicious cucumber sandwiches, and quinoa pasta salad this dish is filled with dill and great flavour.
Ingredients + Substitutions
Here’s what you’ll need to make this tasty vegan cucumber salad.
- Cucumbers: Use English cucumbers that are firm and bright green, and chop them into thin slices using a sharp knife.
- Red onion: Thinly sliced or finely chopped works best.
- Vinegar: Use distilled white vinegar, or white wine vinegar with similar results. You may also use a mix of vinegar and lemon juice if you prefer.
- Maple syrup: Pure maple syrup is refined sugar-free, but adds a touch of sweetness that balances perfectly with the tangy vinegar and onion.
- Dill: Dried dill weed or fresh dill both work here. You may also substitute with parsley, mint, or other fresh herbs of your choice.
- Salt + black pepper: Season to taste with salt and pepper.
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Add the salad dressing ingredients to a small bowl and mix well.
Place the veggies in a large bowl and stir with the dressing.
Refrigerate your salad for about 1 hour (or longer is fine) to chill, and then serve.
This salad tastes best the same day it is made, but leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Note that the longer it sits, the softer the cucumbers will get, and more liquid will be released.
I don’t recommend freezing.
- For the best flavour and texture, plan to make this salad not more than 1-2 hours before serving, as it softens more and more as it sits in the vinegar.
- For a creamy dressing, add 2 tablespoons of dairy-free yogurt or cashew cream.
More delicious vegan salads
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 2 large English cucumbers thinly sliced
- ½ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed or 2 tablespoons fresh
- salt + pepper to taste
- Place the sliced cucumber and red onion in a large bowl. Then combine the vinegar, maple syrup, and dill in a small bowl and mix well. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to evenly coat the slices.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer to chill and then serve.
Leave a Comment + Star Rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐