Buttery soft, vegan almond flour cookies are salty sweet, melt in your mouth, bursts of deliciousness. They require only a few simple ingredients and ready in less than 20 minutes.
This recipe for almond cookies will quickly become a family favourite vegan Christmas cookie, or anytime cookie! They’re so simple to make, you can definitely get your little ones to help.
As an added bonus, they are naturally gluten free, using almond flour over wheat. Plus, they’re free from dairy, although you’d never guess by their buttery soft texture. I won’t go as far as calling them healthy vegan Christmas cookies, but they are definitely more wholesome, compared to store bought cookies.
So if you’re looking for vegan, gluten free Christmas cookies this season, you have got to try these! Or, if you have almond butter on hand, and not almond flour, you may try these Almond Butter Cookies instead.
What goes into this recipe for almond flour cookies?
- Almond flour, of course. You may use blanched or unblanched. Both options work beautifully. Blanched will produce cookies that are slightly fluffier and lighter in colour. Unblanched almond flour will produce slightly darker cookies, but still unbelievably delicious. You may also grind up your own almonds, into flour, if desired. However, if your homemade flour comes out very coarse, you will need extra liquid to make up for that. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water until the batter is sticky and holds when rolling into balls.
- Unrefined coconut sugar. You may sub for brown sugar if preferred.
- Baking powder. Make sure your baking powder is still active, or the cookies may not spread. Baking powder that has been left open for a long time in the pantry can start to lose its effectiveness.
- Salt. I like 1/4 tsp because I prefer these cookies salty/sweet. If you’re watching your sodium intake, reduce to 1/8 tsp instead.
- Pure maple syrup
How to make vegan almond flour cookies
This almond cookies recipe is simple to prepare. Just gather all your ingredients.
Then mix together all the dry ingredients. (Everything except the maple syrup.)
Then pour the maple syrup into your almond flour mixture. Use a fork to help combine the ingredients and form a somewhat sticky batter.
Now roll your batter into half inch balls, and place on your baking sheet.
Bake until the cookies are lightly golden around their edges, approximately 12-15 minutes. Then remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before transferring your almond cookies to a cooling rack.
Can I add any fillers?
Yes, absolutely. These vegan cookies with almond flour make the perfect base for a variety of cookie flavours. Feel free to add some chocolate chips or dried fruit into the mix.
Or, make these a more festive vegan Christmas cookie. Turn them into thumbprints by gently pressing the center of each ball down. Then add some fig preserves, or your favourite jam to the center.
How long do they keep?
This recipe for almond flour cookies is best enjoyed the same day its made. However, the cookies will keep for 1-2 days at room temperature, in a sealed container. Or you may refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Or, if you’re making a batch of Christmas cookies well in advance, you may freeze these for up to 1 month. Then thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
You are going to LOVE these perfect cookies!
- Grain free
- Gluten free
- Rich and buttery without oil or butter
- Dairy and egg free
- Made using only a few simple ingredients
- Ready in less than 20 minutes
- Perfect for a small batch, but also easily doubled or tripled, as needed
- Completely addictive and delicious!
More favourite vegan cookie recipes
- Pecan Butter Cookies [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Healthy Peanut Butter Chickpea Cookies
- Dairy Free Shortbread Cookies
- Vegan Oatmeal Pumpkin Cookies [GF+Oil Free]
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies [GF+Nut Free+Oil Free]
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and mix together. Then pour the maple syrup in the same bowl and mix well. Use a fork to help get the syrup combined and keep mixing until you have a slightly sticky batter.
- Roll the batter into half inch balls and place onto your baking sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart to allow for spreading. You should get about 9-10 cookies.
- Bake until edges are lightly golden, about 13-15 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.