These insanely addictive salt and vinegar potatoes are the perfect side to accompany your meal. I know how much you all love potato recipes, I mean who doesn’t? So with only 5 ingredients required, you really need to try this!
This potato recipe, along with 74 more delicious, plant based, comfort food recipes can be found in Melanie McDonald’s new cookbook Vegan Comfort Cooking. Melanie is the author and founder of the blog A Virtual Vegan. Her work has appeared in Parade, Vegan Food & Living, Reader’s Digest, Better Homes & Gardens, Good Housekeeping, Cosmopolitan and more. Her brand new cookbook is out today, so check it out.
Melanie’s cookbook features recipes that she says will “satisfy cravings and warm your soul” in five chapters with full page images.
- First, We Brunch – Mornings will be a whole lot better with this selection of yummies!
- Indulge Yourself – When you need a hearty, satisfying meal.
- The Munchies – Snacks made to share with a crowd.
- Sweet Talk – Heartwarming vegan desserts.
- Bits & Bobs – Basic recipes everyone should have in their vegan comfort food repertoire.
I’ve been browsing through, and seriously drooling over every single page!
I chose to feature this salt and vinegar potato recipe because nothing quite screams comfort food like deliciously crispy potatoes. And when they’re baked, rather than fried, you don’t even have to feel guilty about it! I made these salt and vinegar potatoes the other day on the side of some homemade pizzas because that totally goes together right? Yup, it was a good day. Anyhow, I highly recommend these potatoes. It’s quite simple really…do you like potatoes? Do you like salt? Do you like vinegar? Yeah, I thought so, you really have to try these!
If you do decide to give these a try, I’d love to hear what you think! Rate them below, or leave me a comment, I always love to hear from you guys! 🙂
- 1½ lb (680 g) baby potatoes peel on
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) white vinegar divided
- 2 tsp (10 g) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- Sea salt flakes for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (232°C).
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan. Pour 1 cup (240 mof the vinegar over them, and add the salt. Top up with enough cold water to just cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for about 7 minutes, or until you can just insert a fork into them but they aren’t yet cooked through. Drain immediately and let sit in the colander for a few minutes to steam dry.
- Return the potatoes to the saucepan you boiled them in and toss with the olive oil; then spread out on a large baking sheet in a single layer with room between each potato. Bake for 30 minutes, and then remove from the oven. Smash each potato with a potato masher or the bottom of a mug so it flattens and splits. Drizzle with the remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) of vinegar, making sure to do it as evenly as you can. Then return the pan to the oven and bake again for about another 30 minutes, or until really golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle with a generous scattering of flaky sea salt and serve immediately
Reprinted with permission from Vegan Comfort Cooking by Melanie McDonald, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019. Photo credit: Melanie McDonald.