Kids love dipping, and I find it’s one of the easiest ways to get a toddler to try new things. If you’re looking for lentil recipes for kids, this is definitely one to try.
They don’t even need to know that these nuggets are completely wholesome and protein packed. I gave my toddler some ketchup and he devoured 3 of these bad boys in no time!
Bonus, these lentil nuggets are dairy free and plant based, making them suitable for anyone with lactose intolerance or on a vegan diet. AND they’re oil free, and baked, NOT fried!
To prepare your veggie nuggets
Put your lentils to soak in boiling hot water first. Let them sit for about 30 minutes before draining them.
In the meantime, start prepping your veggies and breadcrumbs. Place your bread slices in your food processor and process until a breadcrumb consistency is achieved. Then transfer to a large bowl.
Next, add the carrot and zucchini to your food processor with all the seasonings, and your drained lentils. Process until broken down and well combined. Then add this mixture to your bowl of breadcrumbs, add the corn and peas to the same bowl if you haven’t already.
Mix everything with a spatula before forming your veggie nuggets. Using your hands, make balls, roughly the size of golf balls and place on your prepared baking sheet. You will form about 20 balls.
Once you’ve used up all your batter, flatten each ball gently using your hands or a spoon, into a disc shape. Use caution to avoid breaking them, and reshape if necessary.
Bake in your preheated oven for 15 minutes before carefully flipping your nuggets. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes and let rest at room temperature for at least 5 minutes to allow your veggie nuggets to firm up.
Then go ahead and enjoy! These vegan veggie nuggets will please the entire family, from picky toddlers to picky spouses. As always, let me know what you think in the comments below.
Want more recipes that kids and adults alike, love to dip? Try these!
- Sweet & Salty Baked Pumpkin Fries
- Baked Chickpea Nuggets [Allergen Free]
- Sweet & Spicy Baked Plantain Chips
- Baked Zucchini Tater Tots [V+GF]
- Sweet Potato Fries – Baked not Fried!
- 1 cup split red lentils soaked in boiling hot water for 30 minutes
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 1 large carrot grated
- 2 slices whole grain sliced bread untoasted, gluten free if needed
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add your bread slices to a food processor and process until a breadcrumb consistency is achieved. Then transfer your bread crumbs into a large bowl, add the frozen corn and peas to the same bowl and set aside.
- Drain your lentils and add them to the food processor along with your grated carrot, zucchini and all the seasonings. Process until broken down and well combined. Then transfer to the bowl with the breadcrumbs, and mix to combine.
- Form 1-1.5" balls using your hands, and place them on your baking tray. Then press each one down gently, without breaking them, to form your nuggets.
- Bake for 30 minutes, carefully flipping them at the 15 minute mark. Let your nuggets cool at room temperature for at least 5 minutes to help them firm up. Then serve with ketchup, homemade mayo, or tahini.