Mac & cheese is a classic dish, and a family favourite. I’ve been thinking about making some for a while, but I’ve also been trying to limit my “bread” intake. So then it dawned on me! Why not use rice instead? How did I not think of this sooner? This dish is a HUGE hit with my entire family. Plus, this is a rare occasion where I can make one meal to please all four of us. That alone equals success! Obviously, this dairy free rice mac & cheese is now going to be a staple dish in my household.
This kid friendly, dairy free rice mac & cheese is not only DELICIOUS
…but the sauce is loaded with wholesome ingredients, making it extremely healthy. The “cheese” sauce is made up of roasted vegetables, nutritional yeast, and dairy free milk. I use homemade cashew milk in mine, but feel free to sub any dairy free milk option.
To quickly roast the veggies, I quarter my carrots and onion, and then chop up my sweet potatoes in small wedges so they cook faster. Drizzle the veggies with a little olive oil. Then use high heat and convection bake or roast to minimize baking time.
Your veggies are ready when the edges are golden brown. This took me 20 minutes. Don’t forget to peel your garlic once baked. You’ll notice the peel slips right off with minimal effort once the garlic has been roasted.
Throw all your veggies, with the milk and seasonings into a high powered blender or food processor, and process until smooth and creamy. The sauce will be on the thicker side as shown in the photo below. You may add more or less milk to your sauce for a thickness of your preference.
Although this step is completely optional, I do recommend broiling your rice mac & cheese. This will crisp up the top layer and add some delicious texture. If you’re short on time, you can definitely skip this step!
Garnish as desired, or skip the garnish completely. I serve mine with hot peppers to add some kick. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this dish, so as usual please leave me a comment below.
Want more dairy free mac & cheese recipes?
- 8x12 Oven Safe Baking Dish (or similar)
- 2 cups leftover brown rice if you don't have cooked rice, start cooking as you prepare the remaining ingredients
- 3.5-4 cups broccoli florets approx 1 small head of broccoli cut into bite size florets
For the Cheese
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch also known as tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk or almond milk
- 1.5 cup water
- 1.5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder for flavour, not heat
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add all the cheese ingredients to a high speed blender and process until smooth. It will be very runny.
- Place the cooked rice and broccoli florets in an oven safe dish, measuring 8x12, or similar. Then pour the cheese sauce over the rice and broccoli, and mix well to evenly coat and distribute.
- Bake for 20 minutes, mixing at the halfway point. Add a touch more milk if your cheese sauce gets too thick.
- Optional but recommended: Broil your casserole for 2-3 minutes to brown the top.