Cauliflower rice stir fry with peanut sauce is wholesome, flavourful and loaded with goodness! It’s rich, peanutty sauce packs big, bold flavour in every single bite.
This dish is not only wholesome, but it’s gluten free, oil free, vegan, and far lower in calories than your typical stir fry.
Not a peanut butter fan, or need a nut free option? Try my 15 Minute Better Than Takeout Cauliflower Rice instead. But if you’re still with me, let’s get right to it!
What goes in to a healthy low calorie stir fry?
For starters, I’m making cauliflower rice to sub for starchy, higher calorie and carb dense rice. So if you’re following a low carb diet, this is a great way to get your stir fry fix in, without all the complex carbs.
You may use store bought or homemade cauliflower rice. If you’ve never made cauliflower rice before, you can check out this post for some great tips!
I use chickpeas here to up the protein content, and then a mix of colourful veggies.
You may sub any of the veggies as you prefer, but I’m using:
- red onion
- red pepper
- snow peas
I use cilantro for fresh herbs, but you may also use parsley or green onion if you prefer.
Finally, the delicious sauce! I love making peanut sauce. It’s so simple, so tasty and comes together in a matter of minutes.
For my sauce I’m using:
- natural creamy peanut butter, the kind of peanut butter that is JUST peanuts, no added sugar or oil.
- lime juice
- rice vinegar
- tamari, but soy sauce also works here if you’re not avoiding gluten
- garlic powder
- ground ginger
- sriracha, or hot sauce of choice, or red chili flakes also works well here. (or you may skip if you don’t like heat)
How do you make healthy cauliflower stir fry?
To a large skillet or wok, add the sliced onion, peppers and carrots with a tablespoon or two of water. Sauté for a few minutes, until slightly softened.
Then add the remaining veggies, including the cauliflower rice. Sauté a few minutes longer, without overcooking.
Stir fry veggies should be tender, and not mushy, and the cauliflower cooks very quickly. Turn off the heat, add your fresh herbs and peanut sauce. Mix well and serve.
This easy peasy recipe is a great option when you’re craving take out. It comes together quickly, it’s completely wholesome and far healthier than anything you can get delivered to your door. 😉
If you enjoy this cauliflower rice stir fry, you might also like some of these!
- Thai Peanut Chickpea Soup Instant Pot
- Coleslaw Salad w/ Oil Free Thai Peanut Dressing
- Instant Pot Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
- Asian Slaw Vegan Wraps with Cauliflower Rice
- 15 Minute Better Than Takeout Cauliflower “Fried” Rice
- Easy Quinoa Fried Rice Lettuce Wraps
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 2 large carrots peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 1 small cauliflower riced (about 4 cups riced cauliflower)
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 200 g snow peas
- 1 cup cilantro chopped (or parsley or green onion)
- salt + pepper to taste
- To make the cauliflower rice, break your cauliflower into florets and using a veggie bullet, or food processor, shred to a rice consistency. If using a food processor, work in batches so that you do not over process the cauliflower.
- In a small bowl, combine all the peanut sauce ingredients and mix until well incorporated and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, sauté the onion, carrots and peppers with a tablespoon or two of water, until softened. Approx 5 minutes. Then add the cauliflower rice, chickpeas, snow peas, salt and pepper, to taste, and sauté an additional 3-5 minutes, until slightly reduced, but do not over cook. The veggies taste best when still tender.
- Turn off the heat, and stir in the cilantro and peanut sauce. Mix well and serve sprinkled with sesame seeds, if using.