Crunchy, addictive air fryer pecans in two delicious flavours with no eggs and no oil required! Perfect for snacking on their own or use as a topping for pies, salad, and so much more!
Growing up, candied pecans were something we normally enjoyed on holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas.
But with this super simple method, a handful of ingredients, and just 10 minutes, you can whip this up ANY time of year.
Inspired by my stovetop candied “bacon” pecans, I felt it was time to try pecans in the air fryer. I’m thrilled to report that they’re SO delicious and SO fast!
Ingredients + Substitutions
The sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and water are for the sweet version of these candied pecans. (See recipe card below for quantities.)
The soy sauce, maple syrup, chili powder and cayenne are for the spiced version of the air fryer pecans. (See recipe card below for quantities.)
- Pecan halves: You may use walnuts if preferred.
- Brown sugar: Use unrefined coconut sugar for an unrefined option.
- Soy sauce: Swap with Tamari to keep these gluten free, if needed.
- Maple syrup: Use a liquid sweetener of your choice, but stick to date syrup or maple syrup if an unrefined option is preferred.
- Chili powder + cayenne: I’m using small amounts of both and the end result will NOT be spicy. They add delicious savoury flavour to the pecans, but not heat.
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Determine which flavour of candied pecans you’re making and combine all the ingredients, except the pecans in a small bowl. Mix well. (photo 1)
Then pour the mixture over your pecan halves and stir until evenly coated. (photo 2)
Place the coated pecans in your fryer basket, without overlapping too much. (photo 3)
Air fry for 3-5 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning. They cook fast. Mix or shake your basket at the halfway point. (photo 4)
Then transfer the pecans to a lined baking sheet and arrange in a single layer to let cool. (photo 5)
Once cool, the pecans will be hard, crunchy and incredibly delicious! Snack on them, or use them to top salads, ice cream, pies, and more!
We use (and LOVE) a Ninja Foodi 8 quart. However, any model of fryer will work for these candied pecans.
Just note that different models will have varying cook times. So make sure to check on your pecans starting at the 2 minute mark.
Can I make these in the oven?
You bet. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and arrange the coated pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 25-35 minutes, mixing every 8-10 minutes. Watch carefully towards the end of cooking so they don’t burn.
Store your pecans in a jar or container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks (if they last that long).
I haven’t tried freezing these, but I suspect they’d hold up well in the freezer in an air-tight container or zip-top bag.
Make sure the pecans are completely cooled before storing, so they don’t stick to one another.
- Arrange the pecans in a single layer after air frying until they’re cool. Try your hardest not to eat them warm (although still delicious warm). This cool down time will allow them to harden and prevent them from sticking to one another. They cool down quickly and will be ready to eat in about 10-15 minutes.
More amazing air fried recipes
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
Air Fryer Candied Pecans
Air Fryer Spiced Pecans
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or date syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or Tamari for gluten free
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1.5 cups pecan halves
- Determine which flavour you're making, the sweet or the spiced. Then combine the first four ingredients belonging to that flavour in a small bowl and set aside. Place your pecans in another bowl and pour the mixture on top. Mix well to ensure each pecan half is coated.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside. Then spoon the coated pecans into your air frying basket but do not dump them in. Air fry at 350 degrees F for 3-5 minutes, mixing or shaking the basket at the halfway point. Watch carefully to prevent burning. They cook fast.
- Transfer the pecans to your parchment-lined tray in a single layer to let them cool. Try your hardest not to devour them warm, as they will harden and get crunchy as they cool, which is when they taste best. Enjoy! 😉