Pumpkin spice all the things? How about pumpkin nice cream? You’re going to love this refreshing and delicious no churn vegan dessert. It’s naturally (and lightly) sweetened, perfectly creamy, and loaded with pumpkin spice flavour.
Whether it’s a treat to beat the summer heat or pumpkin spice deliciousness you’re after, you’ve found the right dessert!
This will satisfy your sweet tooth (without being overly sweet) and is absolutely perfect for warm weather or to enjoy as the leaves start to fall.
Inspired by my no churn vegan ice cream, this pumpkin nice cream will not disappoint.
This healthy pumpkin spice nice cream is made using just a handful of ingredients. It’s naturally sweetened using dates, but feel free to add some maple syrup, molasses and/or chocolate chips, if you’ve got a sweet tooth. 🙂
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Add everything, except any optional toppings to your food processor or blender. Then process until smooth. (photos 1-2)
Transfer the ice cream to a shallow dish and top with chocolate chips, if using. Then freeze for one hour. (photos 3-4)
Then mix your pumpkin nice cream, especially around the edges, as those start to freeze first and return to the freezer for one more hour.
Serve with more chocolate chips and chopped pecans, if you’d like.
TIP: Use a shallow dish, like a baking pan to freeze your nice cream faster.
- For low fat, use light coconut milk, in place of full fat. The results are slightly less creamy, but still delicious.
- For coconut free, use 2-3 frozen bananas in place of the coconut milk, like I’ve done in this banana nice cream.
If you have a sweet tooth, add 1-2 tablespoons of fancy molasses and/or 1-2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup. Taste the mixture once pureed and continue adding more sweetener, if needed.
Make it kid friendly by folding in some chocolate chips. (I don’t know about you, but my kids will eat anything with chocolate chips in it. 🙂 )
Equipment plays a big role on the creaminess and texture.
Use a high speed blender or food processor for the smoothest results.
If you don’t have a high speed appliance, soaking your dates ahead of time will help them to break down smoother.
Tastes best when consumed within 2-3 hours of freezing. However, you may keep frozen in an airtight, freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Place a sheet of plastic wrap on top of your ice cream, before sealing the lid to prevent freezer burn.
Once frozen overnight, the nice cream will freeze solid. Remove from the freezer 15-20 minutes before you plan to enjoy, to make scooping easier.
- If your dates are very dry (happens if they’ve been sitting in your pantry a while), soak them in cool water for 15-20 minutes and then drain, before adding to your blender or food processor.
- For smoothest results, use a high speed food processor or blender.
More pumpkin desserts!
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 400 milliliters Thai Kitchen unsweetened coconut milk full fat or light
- 1 cup pumpkin puree unsweetened (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cloves a pinch
- 1-2 tablespoons fancy molasses or maple syrup, optional
- vegan chocolate chips
- chopped pecans or walnuts
- Add everything (except the toppings) to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a shallow dish, and add some chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts, if using and place in the freezer for one hour.
- Remove from the freezer and give your ice cream a good mix, especially around the edges as that will freeze first. Return to the freezer for one more hour. Then serve topped with more chocolate chips and nuts, if you'd like, and enjoy.