For an easy soup, that is filling, comforting and wholesome, this vegetable barley soup really checks all the boxes. It is flavourful, simple to prepare, filled with nutrients, and made in one pot!
I love making big batches of soup, especially during the colder months. This soup tastes just as great when reheated, as it does when freshly made. Perfect for lunches and makes great leftover dinners too!
If you don’t want leftovers, feel free to halve this soup recipe instead.
How to make vegetable barley soup?
This soup recipe is very easy to prepare and make.
Chop up your veggies and add everything except the spinach to a large pot. Bring it to a boil over high heat, and then lower the heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes. Add the spinach in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Serve with crackers, croutons, crusty bread, or just enjoy as is. 🙂
How long does this soup keep?
This soup makes a generous portion, but don’t worry because leftovers keep well in refrigerator for 4-5 days.
You may also freeze some for later use, for up to 8 weeks. Just thaw in the refrigerator the night before and reheat on stove top.
More favourite chunky soup recipes
- Vegan Chicken Soup w/ Jackfruit & Potato
- Thai Peanut Chickpea Soup Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
- Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 6 carrots finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup barley rinsed & drained
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Add all the ingredients, except the spinach to a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Then lower heat to medium and cook for 45 minutes adding the spinach in the last 5 minutes. Serve with black pepper if desired.