These tasty lemony air fryer zucchini are easy to make, using only 5 ingredients! Super simple, delicious and the perfect side dish that comes together in no time.
This recipe was originally published in April 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
An incredibly healthy and tasty side dish! But unlike most air fryer zucchini recipes out there, this one has no breading and no oil required for a low carb, low fat and wholesome dish.
Just like my air fried eggplant, you can enjoy the natural taste of this delicious veggie without dousing it in oil and breadcrumbs!
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients. All you’ll need is zucchini, lemon and seasoning.
Slice your zucchini horizontally, into roughly ⅛ inch pieces. (photo 1)
Combine the lemon juice and seasoning in a small bowl and mix well. Then pour it over your zucchini slices. (photos 2-4)
Use your hands to mix the zucchini and separate the slices as you go, to ensure each piece is coated with the seasoning. (photo 5)
Then transfer to your basket and air fry for 20-25 minutes, until golden. (photos 6-7)
NOTE: Shake your basket, or gently mix the zucchini every 5 minutes or so, for even cooking.
Once cooked, serve immediately and enjoy.
What to serve with them?
These air fryer zucchini pair nicely with my vegan chicken burgers or on the size of this chickpea meatloaf.
You may also use them to top a salad, or stuff some into a wrap.
Frequently Asked Questions
We use and love a Ninja Foodi 8qt. However, you may use any basket style model for this recipe. Note that cook time will vary according to the model you’re using.
You may refrigerate any leftover air fryer zucchini in a sealed container for 3-4 days. Reheat in your fryer or toaster oven.
I don’t recommend freezing these as it will alter the texture and get soggy.
What other spice blends can I try?
I’ve kept this one simple, but feel free to jazz up your zucchini with one of the following spice blends instead.
- ¼ teaspoon each of salt, oregano, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
Jerk Seasoning Blend
- ½ teaspoon onion powder and ¼ teaspoon each of thyme, allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and garlic powder.
- ½ teaspoon parsley and ¼ teaspoon each of dill, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
Chili Seasoning Blend
- ½ teaspoon chili powder and ¼ teaspoon each of cumin, garlic powder, paprika (or smoked paprika), onion powder, salt and black pepper.
- Do your best to slice your zucchini as evenly as possible for even cooking.
- Shake your basket, or mix gently, every 5 minutes or so during cooking. This will ensure even cooking, and prevent the zucchini from sticking to your basket.
- Try different spice mixtures to change it up each time. See my suggestions above!
More air fried veggies
- Air Fried Hash Browns From Scratch
- Air Fried Spaghetti Squash [Healthy+Low Cal]
- Healthy Air Fried Mushrooms
- Air Fried Carrots [Two Ways!]
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 3 medium zucchini sliced into ⅛ inch slices (approx. 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice approx. one medium lemon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Slice your zucchini horizontally in slices that are approx. ⅛ inch thick and place in a mixing bowl.
- Then combine all remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour the mixture over your zucchini slices. Mix well to ensure each piece is coated, using your hands to separate the slices, as you go.
- Place the zucchini in your basket and air fry at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Gently shake your basket or mix the zucchini, every 5 minutes or so, for even cooking.
Zucchini is one of my favourite vegetables and this was really yummy good stuff!!
This was delicious zucchini and loved the lemon!