Best of both worlds, delicious and nutritious. This vegetable lentil soup is so good for you, and tastes great too! Plus it’s an easy filling meal, all made in ONE POT! I have both stove top instructions and Instant Pot instructions below. And even better, this lentil soup requires minimal prep work, making this a great meal for busy week nights.
I make this soup very often. In fact, I’d say I make this, or at least a version of this soup weekly. Especially in the colder months, I find this soup so perfectly satisfying. Plus, even my picky toddler gobbles this up, so it’s a win win in this house!
Lentils are low in calories, and rich in iron and protein, making this a perfect dish for your meatless Mondays. Plus, they are easy to cook and a great compliment to any meal. Lentils have high nutritional value that anyone could benefit from adding to their diet! So why not give this a try?
To make the soup, I quickly sauté some freshly chopped onion and carrots. Although you can’t beat fresh produce, this dish also works well with frozen carrots if you’re in a hurry and don’t have time for chopping.
Once the veggies are sauteed, I add my vegetable broth to the pot. Then the lentils, split peas and all the seasonings.
In the last five or so minutes of cooking, I add the frozen peas and corn. If using frozen carrots as well, then you can also add them towards the end of cooking also. This will prevent them from overcooking and getting too mushy. If you don’t mind a softer, creamier soup, you can add your carrots, peas and corn when you add the broth and lentils.
Serve this delicious and filling vegetable lentil soup with an extra sprinkle or two of freshly ground pepper. Then dig in!
More delicious soup recipes
Or, for a special treat, give this Vegan Cold Pear Soup a try.
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil or other cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled & chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 10 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- salt & pepper to taste
Stove Top Directions
- Add the oil, onions and carrots to a large pot and sauté until softened, approx. 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté 1 more minute.
- Pour in the water or broth (if using water, add more salt and pepper to taste), and all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 25-30 minutes.
Instant Pot Directions
- Add the oil, onions and carrots to your instant pot and sauté until softened, approx. 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté 1 more minute.
- Pour in the water or broth (if using water, add more salt and pepper to taste), and all remaining ingredients. Seal the instant pot, and set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
(It will take about 15-20 minutes to build pressure before timer counts down.)