Three fantastic flavours of air fryer peanuts that taste like they’ve been roasted, but are so much faster to make. Try our salt and pepper, smoky BBQ, and churros flavours! They will not disappoint.
These air fryer peanuts are a fun and delicious snack that you can whip up in just 15 minutes. It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free, making it suitable for most diets.
It was inspired by my oil-free air-fried chickpeas that come with FIVE flavour choices. So if you’re a fan of chickpeas, I highly recommend trying those, also.
Ingredients + Substitutions
Here’s what you’ll need to make your air fryer peanuts:
- Raw peanuts: I like to use raw blanched peanuts that have their skins removed. But skin on peanuts work as well.
- Aquafaba: To reduce the fat content (there’s enough from the peanuts 😉 ), I use aquafaba (the liquid remaining after cooking dried chickpeas) to replace the need for olive oil. A liquid is needed for the seasoning to stick to the peanuts, so it cannot be skipped altogether. If you don’t mind the extra fat, you may use your preferred oil.
- Salt + pepper: For a simple flavour option, choose salt and pepper.
- Smoky BBQ seasoning: A combination of smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, makes this a delicious savoury choice.
- Churros seasoning: A combo of coconut sugar (or brown sugar) and cinnamon, makes this a fantastic sweet option.
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Place the raw peanuts in a single layer in your basket and air fry for 6-8 minutes. (photo 1)
Meanwhile, add the aquafaba and spice mix of your choice to a small bowl. (photo 2)
Mix well. (photo 3)
Then place the peanuts in the bowl and mix to evenly coat. (photo 4)
Return the coated peanuts to your fryer for another 2-4 minutes, until they reach a golden colour, but watch carefully to prevent burning. Then transfer to a bowl, allow to cool slightly, and enjoy.
What if I don’t have an air fryer?
You can make these in your oven with similar results. It will take a little extra time, but follow the same directions.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and begin roasting the peanuts, without any seasoning. Roast for about 10-12 minutes, but watch carefully.
Then remove from the oven and season the peanuts with your choice of spice mix. Return to the oven for another few minutes until golden.
Want more flavour ideas for this air fryer roasted peanuts recipe? Check out some of these spice mixes! And don’t forget to let me know which flavours you try in the comments section below.
- Chili Lime: Skip the aquafaba or oil and use lime juice instead. Then add 1 teaspoon of chili powder, ½ teaspoon of paprika and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Italian: Use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of dried parsley, and ¼ teaspoon each of dried oregano and salt.
- Cajun seasoning: Use 1 teaspoon of paprika, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ⅛ teaspoon each of black pepper, white pepper, onion powder, dried oregano and cayenne.
- Ranch: Use ½ teaspoon each of dried parsley and dried dill weed, plus ¼ teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Spicy BBQ: Use 1 teaspoon of paprika, and ¼ teaspoon each of garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper.
We use a Ninja Foodi 8 quart but any air frying model will work for this recipe, including toaster oven styles.
However, since individual models will cook at different temperatures and speeds, check on your peanuts often, to prevent them from being overdone.
Keep leftover air fryer peanuts in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Don’t season the peanuts from the start of cooking, or the spices may start to burn.
- If making multiple batches (as you should, to try all the flavours 😉 ), note that subsequent batches will cook a little faster, so watch carefully.
More delicious air fried snacks
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 cup raw peanuts unsalted
- 1 tablespoon aquafaba or neutral flavoured oil
Salt + Pepper Roasted Peanuts
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Smoky BBQ Roasted Peanuts
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Churros Roasted Peanuts
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Place the raw peanuts in your air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry at 350°F/177°C for 6-8 minutes, mixing at the halfway point.
- Meanwhile, add the tablespoon of aquafaba to a small mixing bowl, along with the spice mix of your choice. Mix well.
- Pour the roasted peanuts into the bowl with the seasoning and mix well to evenly coat them. Then return them to the basket and air fry for an additional 2-4 minutes, until golden, but watch carefully to prevent them from burning.
- Then pour the air fried peanuts into a bowl and let cool for a few minutes before enjoying.
You are a genius! Why haven’t I thought of this?! Simple but so very perfect for lots of reasons. I will be making these soon, with most of the options you show, thanks so much for your creativity, insight and thoughtful ideas you share!
Aww thanks so much for the lovely comment Cheryl. Enjoy! 🙂