An incredibly delicious no bake vegan strawberry pie made without Jell-O or oil and low in sugar, without sacrificing flavour! This gorgeous dessert is the perfect summer treat, or any time you have fresh strawberries laying around.
Just like my lemon pie, this vegan strawberry pie is quick and simple to make, with no baking required. (Other than a blind bake for the crust.)
Make your crust, slice up some strawberries and whip up the topping in your blender. Ready in no time!
The only hard part is waiting for it to chill and set. So plan ahead!
It’s also allergen friendly, being free from dairy, eggs, soy and corn. So if you need a strawberry pie without cornstarch, you’ve got it!
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients and start by blind baking your pie crust.
Arrange 2 cups worth of sliced strawberries on your baked pie crust. (photo 1)
Add the remaining 1 cup of strawberries, the coconut milk, lemon juice, sugar, vanilla and tapioca to your blender and process until smooth. (photo 2)
Transfer the mixture to a small sauce pot. (photo 3)
Boil the mixture on stove top for about 1 minute, whisking constantly. (photo 4)
Then immediately pour over your strawberry layer in your pie crust and spread as evenly as possible, to its edges. (photos 5-6)
NOTE: The strawberry filling will harden as it cools, so make sure you’re ready to pour and spread immediately after boiling.
Refrigerate your pie overnight, or for at least 4-6 hours, until set.
Then garnish your vegan strawberry pie with more strawberries and/or vegan whipped cream, if desired.
Commonly Asked Questions
This simply means to bake your pie crust empty, before adding any filling. Since this is a no bake pie, you’ll need the crust to be cooked before filling.
This pie works best with fresh strawberries that have not been frozen. Frozen strawberries will bleed and since this pie is not being baked, fresh is best.
You can make a traditional baked strawberry pie, but here I’ve gone with a no bake strawberry pie. (Other than the quick blind bake for the pie crust.)
You may keep it refrigerated for 3-4 days. You may also freeze your pie for up to 2 months and let thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Yes. The strawberry filling is already gluten free, so just be sure to use your favourite gluten free pie crust.
- Use fresh strawberries for the best results.
- If you have a sweet tooth, or if your strawberries are not very sweet, increase the sugar to 1/3-1/2 cup.
- Make sure to shake your can of coconut milk very well before opening. Since you’re not using the entire can, you want to make sure the contents are mixed well before measuring your cup full. If you’re having trouble, pour the contents into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- For low fat, sub the canned coconut milk for a light version. Or, you may also use water. The filling will be less rich, but still delicious.
- Make sure to plan ahead, as this dessert tastes best when refrigerated overnight.
- Do not cut your pie until it’s cool. The filling needs time to chill and set before slicing. It will hold and slice easily once chilled. Use a sharp, wet knife as it can get sticky.
More delicious vegan desserts
- Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Homemade Nutella [Sugar Free]
- Banana Almond Flour Muffins [Super Moist!]
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 vegan whole wheat pie crust or crust of choice
- 1.5 pounds fresh strawberries 3 cups sliced
- 1 cup canned coconut milk shake well before opening or pour contents into a bowl and whisk to combine, you may use light for low fat
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar you may use coconut or date sugar if an unrefined option is preferred, but note the colour of your filling will be darker.
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch or corn starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- fresh strawberries whole or sliced
- Prepare your pie crust of choice and blind bake according to its directions. If you're using my oil free pie crust, bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are golden. Set aside to let cool slightly before filling.
- Wash, hull and slice your strawberries and set aside.
- Use 2 cups of your sliced strawberries to arrange on your baked pie crust. You may start around the edges and work your way towards the middle, or work in rows. You should have 2 layers of strawberries.
- Shake your canned coconut milk very well before opening. Then add 1 cup worth to your blender, along with 1 cup of the sliced strawberries, the sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and tapioca. Blend until smooth.
- Now pour the mixture into a small pot and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Boil for about 1 minute, until thick and then pour over the strawberry layer immediately. Spread as evenly as possible and then refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 4-6 hours, until set.
- Once set, garnish with strawberry slices, if desired. It helps to use a wet knife for slicing as the top filling can get sticky. Enjoy!