Pasta and sautéed veggies are smothered in a protein packed, black bean pesto! So much delicious flavour packed into every bite.
I’m a lover of all things pesto! For the sake of adding protein to this dish, while still keeping it nut free, black beans just makes sense! This combo is unbelievably delicious! Plus it’s so fresh tasting and perfectly comforting!
I like to grow my own fresh basil in the garden each summer. By harvesting time, there’s usually so much left that we don’t know what to do with it. So, that’s when I make some homemade pesto with all the delicious basil that won’t get consumed on time. I typically make a huge batch and freeze them in small jars, so I always have some delicious pesto ready to go for future uses! Having this pesto readily available makes this dish SUPER easy to make. No worries if you don’t have the pesto already on hand. All you need is 5 simple ingredients and a food processor. You can get the pesto recipe HERE.
How do you make black bean pesto veggie pasta?
First blend your homemade pesto (or store bought) with your black beans and set aside.
Next, choose the veggies you want to include. I use onion, pepper, and mushrooms, but feel free to omit or replace any ingredients to suit your taste. Then sauté your veggies using a tablespoon or two of water to keep this oil free, and lower calories and fat. (Save your calories for the pasta! :))
Meanwhile, get your water boiling for the pasta and cook according to package directions. Reserve some of the pasta water when draining to thin our your pesto as needed. Mix the pesto into the pasta well and finally add the veggies.
Serve your pasta garnished with green onion and cherry tomatoes, if desired. Or you may want to sprinkle with chili flakes to add a little heat. Or, take it one step further and sprinkle some delicious Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
If you enjoy this pasta recipe, you might also like these!
- Pasta Aglio e Olio (Pasta w/ Garlic & Oil)
- Vegetable Bolognese Zucchini Noodles
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
- Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta [Vegan]
- 1 cup black beans cooked or canned
- 1 cup homemade pesto or store bought
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 5 cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 lb penne pasta, or your choice gluten free if preferred
- Optional garnishes: green onion, cherry tomatoes
- In a small blender or food processor, puree your black beans with your pesto and set aside. Add a tablespoon or two of water if needed.
- Add your veggies, salt and a tablespoon or two of water to a large skillet and sauté for about 8-10 minutes, until softened and liquid from the mushrooms is mostly absorbed.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of generously salted water to boil and cook your pasta according to package directions. Reserve about half a cup of the pasta water when draining and return drained pasta to the pot. Pour the black bean pesto over the pasta and mix well, adding some of the reserved pasta water if help your pesto spread and coat all the pasta as needed. Then add the sautéed veggies to the pot and stir them in.
- Serve garnished with green onion and cherry tomatoes if desired.