Need a dessert to WOW your guests? These utterly delicious, vegan cheesecake squares with apples, walnuts and salted caramel are the answer. They’re rich, sweet, decadent, and perfect for all your get togethers. As an added bonus, they’re free from refined sugar and naturally gluten free.
I know this may seem like a bit of work with 3 separate layers, but don’t let that stop you! Handy tools like a food processor and high powered blender, (I use my Vitamix), really speed up the process. Plus, these are delicious. Like seriously, you need to get to your kitchen right now. Put your cashews to soak and just get started.
I love that there’s no baking required for these bad boys, just stick them in the freezer until ready to serve. These are a perfect option for a make-ahead dessert to serve at your next dinner party. They will last in your freezer for up to a week. Plus, who doesn’t love cheesecake? You don’t even need to tell your guests these are vegan cheesecake squares, they’re so delicious and taste just like the real thing! Maybe better…
So, no bake, no refined sugar, delicious, make ahead…do you need more reasons to try these?
I served these squares along side some homemade pumpkin spice lattes, and they were a hit! The perfect combo for all things autumn. I love pumpkin everything at this time of year. Or any time of year!
9"x 9" Baking Dish (or similar)
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1 cup dates soaked in boiling hot water for 5 minutes or more
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Before you begin, line a 9x9 dish or baking tray with parchment paper.
- To make your crust, add the crust ingredients to a food processor and process until combined. You are looking for a thick sticky dough, resembling a peanut butter consistency.
- Press the crust onto your prepared dish using wet fingers, or a silicone spatula if preferred. Place the crust in the freezer while you prepare your cheesecake filling.
- To make the filling, add all the filling ingredients to a high powered blender, I used my Vitamix, and process until creamy. Pour evenly over your crust and spread with a silicone spatula if needed. Return to the freezer while you prepare your topping.
- Using a large skillet, add the coconut oil and diced apples and bring to a low boil over medium/high heat for about 2 minutes until apples are slightly tender.
- Then add the sugar and the milk and boil over medium/high heat for about 10 minutes, until slightly reduced and sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, sea salt and chopped walnuts. Let stand at room temperature to thicken further, or place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon your topping over the cheesecake and return to the freezer for at least 2 hours, or overnight, then slice into 16 squares. If not ready to serve, return your vegan cheesecake squares to the freezer until ready, as they do thaw quickly. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week.