A simple vegan BBQ sauce you can whip up in minutes! No cooking required, and just 8 pantry-friendly ingredients are needed. It’s smoky, savoury, sweet, and a little spicy.
BBQ sauce is a summer staple in my house, so I love having a quick and easy version that we can whip up in a flash.
This no-cook version is incredibly flavourful and you’re going to LOVE drizzling and spreading it on everything!
My most recent favourite? Spread onto these air fryer corn ribs! YUM.
Why you’ll love it
- Healthy! Unlike store-bought barbecue sauces, this homemade vegan BBQ sauce is made without any artificial flavours, or colours. Plus, no refined sugars like high fructose corn syrup!
- Easy to make! There’s no need to cook, boil or simmer anything and it’s made using just 8 pantry-friendly ingredients. Just toss everything in a bowl and mix it up!
- Long lasting! Keep this delicious BBQ sauce in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks (likely longer, but we haven’t had ours last long enough to test longer than that.)
Ingredients + Substitutions
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this homemade vegan barbecue sauce.
- Ketchup: We use this no sugar added ketchup to keep the sugar content lower. It’s made with just tomato paste, vinegar, stevia and spices. If you don’t have, or cannot find any ketchup without added sugar, you may reduce the maple syrup to lower the sugar.
- Apple cider vinegar: Adds a little tang to your BBQ sauce. You may sub with white distilled vinegar or rice vinegar with similar results.
- Tamari: Adds savoury and salty flavour. You may use soy sauce if you do not require the sauce to be gluten-free. For soy-free, you may use coconut aminos with similar results, or skip it and use ¼- ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
- Maple syrup: Use pure maple syrup that is unrefined to add natural sweetness to your sauce. OR you may use date syrup, unrefined coconut sugar, cane sugar or brown sugar.
- Sriracha: The hot sauce is optional for a hint of heat. It will not make the sauce very spicy, as we’re using a small amount. You may increase or decrease it, to your taste. Or substitute with any other hot sauce you like or use some black pepper and cayenne pepper instead.
- Mustard: Adds a subtle tangy flavour, but may be omitted if you prefer.
- Spices: Onion powder and smoked paprika add lovely savoury flavours to the sauce with a hint of smoke. For extra flavour, add some garlic powder or chili powder to the mix.
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Add all the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl. (photo 1)
Whisk well until thoroughly combined. (photo 2)
Then transfer the sauce to a jar or container and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
How to use it
This homemade vegan BBQ sauce can be used in ANY way you’d use BBQ sauce.
- Spread it onto burgers, sandwiches, and wraps.
- Use it with this chickpea meatloaf, or baked beans.
- Drizzle some onto your pizza or use it to dip your crusts.
- Make pulled jackfruit.
- Top hot dogs, or dip your french fries or potato wedges.
- Dip roasted cauliflower or raw veggies.
- Stir some into your mac and cheese.
Keep your BBQ sauce in the fridge for up to 3 weeks in a sealed container or glass jar.
Although the sauce may last longer than 3 weeks, it hasn’t lasted longer than that in order to test it. 🙂
You may also freeze portions of the sauce if you feel you won’t consume it quickly enough. Place in an airtight freezer-safe container or jar for up to 3 months.
- Use no sugar added ketchup to keep this vegan BBQ sauce refined sugar-free.
- Adjust to your taste! If you prefer spicier BBQ sauce, double up on the hot sauce. For no heat, omit it.
- For an extra smoky flavour, add a teaspoon of liquid smoke or double up on the smoked paprika.
More vegan sauces + spreads
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Add all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk well to thoroughly combine.
- Transfer the BBQ sauce to a CLEAN jar or container.