Want a lighter spin on your favourite Asian dish? Give this turkey quinoa stir fry a try! It’s made using very little oil, ground turkey, and fresh vegetables. Also, rather than noodles or rice, I’m using a lower calorie and low carb option as my grain. Hello quinoa!
Quinoa is loaded in nutrients, and when compared to rice, it is a MUCH lower carb option. Perfect for those of you trying to limit your carb intake. Additionally, quinoa is gluten free, making it a perfectly suitable option for those of you avoiding gluten.
This is a very versatile dish, and you can really use whatever vegetables you have available. I make a version of this turkey quinoa stir fry quite often using whatever veggies I have in my fridge.
So don’t limit yourself to broccoli or cauliflower. You can use peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, corn, or any of your favourite veggies. Just cook your turkey until no longer pink. Then add any veggies of your choosing.
As for seasonings, I love a spicy stir fry dish. But feel free to omit the cayenne pepper if you prefer a mild version. Get creative with your spices and seasonings. You may want to add onion powder, basil, smoked paprika or cumin to the mix. Make it your very own. 🙂
Want more delicious comfort meals that are lightened up using healthy ingredients?
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sesame oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce if not avoiding gluten
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Optional Garnishes: green onion, sesame seeds, chili flakes
- In a small pot, bring the veggie broth to a boil. Then turn off heat, add the quinoa and keep covered.
- Meanwhile, in a large wok or skillet add the oil and onion and sauté until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, approx 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Now add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cook until broccoli and cauliflower are tender, approx 8 minutes.
- Once the broccoli and cauliflower are cooked, mix in your cooked quinoa.
- Garnish with green onion, sesame seeds and chili flakes if desired.