Can you really ever have enough lasagna options? This three cheese vegan lasagna is so perfectly melty, ooey gooey, hearty, “meaty”, filling and delicious. Plus, it’s 100% plant based, gluten free, AND it’s kid friendly!
Most importantly, it is picky eater APPROVED! It’s really the perfect option for your next dinner gathering. It is such a satisfying meal for all types of eaters.
Lasagna can be a fair bit of work, but with some organization, and even some prepping ahead of time, you can tackle this without a problem! I typically prepare my cheeses the day before I’m making this lasagna, and then all I have to do is whip up the sauce, assemble and bake. This will really save you a lot of time on prep work.
To make your sauce, quickly sauté your veggie grounds and then toss in all the remaining ingredients and let it simmer while you work on other components.
Let’s talk about the cheese!
So I use three types of homemade dairy free cheeses for this decadent lasagna. I just can’t stand behind the store bought options. I have yet to find a kind that resembles anything like cheese.
The cheese options I use for this vegan lasagna are ricotta cheese, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
To make the ricotta cheese, just toss everything into your food processor, scraping down the sides as needed. Then refrigerate until needed. Easy!
For the mozzarella balls, I had plenty of inspiration from Gourmandelle’s vegan mozzarella recipe. I just cut down on a couple of steps, giving me some time to make the other 2 cheeses as well. I have to say, I was quite impressed by vegan mozzarella balls that actually hold into balls! Then I refrigerated mine until I was ready to slice and assemble my lasagna.
Lastly, the Parmesan cheese. Another super simple recipe, just throwing everything into the food processor until finely ground. In fact, I often have this already ready to go in my fridge because this Parmesan tastes great sprinkled on SO many dishes. Don’t limit yourself to traditional pasta’s only. Try it on these Vegetable Bolognese Zucchini Noodles, or on Stuffed Mushrooms or even Stuffed Peppers.
Okay, so back to the vegan lasagna. When all your components are ready, saving the lasagna noodles for last. Assemble your layers into your baking dish, generously sprinkling the Parmesan over your last layer.
Then cover the dish with parchment paper and aluminum foil and bake in your preheated oven for 45 minutes, removing the paper for the last 5-10 minutes. This will give the top layer of mozzarella the chance to further melt and brown slightly. Let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing into 18 pieces. Then serve with extra Parmesan cheese if desired, and enjoy!
Want a slightly less indulgent vegan lasagna? Give this Seriously the BEST Vegan Lasagna a try. It’s made using a mix of vegetables and noodles for a low carb and lower calorie option.
Cashew Ricotta Ingredients
Mozzarella Cheese Ingredients
Parmesan Cheese Ingredients
Bolognese Sauce Ingredients
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil or cooking oil of choice
- 2 340g packages of Yves veggie grounds
- 6 cups tomato sauce or tomato puree of choice
- 1 6oz can 170g tomato paste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp sea salt
Lasagna Noodles Ingredients
- 454 g package gluten free lasagna noodles or your choice
- you may also use ready to bake/no boil lasagna sheets to save time, but I prefer the taste and texture of traditional lasagna sheets
Cashew Ricotta Instructions
- Drain the cashews and add them to a food processor along with all remaining ingredients. Process until smooth. This will take about 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides every 30 seconds or so. Transfer your ricotta into a small bowl and refrigerate until needed. It will thicken up a little more in the fridge.
Mozzarella Cheese Instructions
- Drain your cashews and add all the mozzarella ingredients to a high powered blender. (I use a Vitamix) Blend until thickened, approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with ice cold water and 1 tbsp of salt and stir until dissolved.Then using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop the mixture into small mozzarella balls, using your hands to form balls. Then place the mozzarella balls into the salted water and let them cool for about 1-2 minutes before removing from the water. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to use your mozzarella, slice each ball into thin slices to layer with your lasagna. (If you have leftover mozzarella, store in your refrigerator in salted water in a sealed container.)
Parmesan Cheese Instructions
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until a fine meal is achieved. Set aside.
Bolognese Sauce Instructions
- Add the cooking oil and veggie grounds to a large pot and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and then lower heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
Lasagna Noodles Instructions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and fill a large bowl with cold water. Place the bowl of cold water on your counter as close as possible to your boiling pot of water.
- Add about half a package of lasagna sheets to your boiling pot of water. Do not overcrowd the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes until softened, or according to package directions. Using tongs, carefully transfer your softened lasagna sheets into your water bath.
- Repeat with remaining sheets.
Assembly & Bake Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- I used a glass tray that measures 11"x15" and assembled my lasagna in the following order:Sauce | Noodles | Sauce | Ricotta | Mozzarella | Parmesan | Noodles | Sauce | Ricotta | Mozzarella | Parmesan | Noodles | Sauce | Mozzarella | Parmesan
- Scoop a thin layer of sauce onto your glass baking dish. Then add a layer of lasagna sheets over top in a single layer. Add more sauce over the lasagna sheets and spread using a silicone brush.
- Now add half of the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the sauce, using a fork or silicone brush to help spread it evenly across. Then top your ricotta with slices of the mozzarella, one third worth. Then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Now add your second layer of lasagna sheets, followed by another thin layer of sauce. Then spread the remaining ricotta cheese on top. Followed by another third of the mozzarella slices, and more sprinkled parmesan cheese on top.
- Finally, add your third layer of noodles. Scoop more sauce over your noodles, making sure to get it in all the corners to prevent sticking while baking. Then add the remaining third of the mozzarella slices and sprinkle more of parmesan cheese on top. (You should have leftover parmesan cheese for serving with each slice later.)
- Cover your tray with parchment paper and then aluminum foil and bake in your preheated oven for 45 minutes, removing the paper for the last 5-10 minutes so the top layer of mozzarella will melt further and brown slightly.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish each slice of lasagna with more parmesan cheese or hot peppers if desired.