Instant Pot (or stove top) Thai Peanut Chickpea Soup is peanutty, savoury, and packed with big bold flavour! This chunky, brothy soup is true comfort food for the soul. It’s filled with delicious flavours, it’s warming and comforting, and perfectly wholesome.
It’s vegan, and made without oil or gluten, making it perfect for all eating preferences. For even more incredible soup options, don’t forget to take a peek at this collection of healthy vegan soup recipes!
How do you make Thai peanut Chickpea soup?
This delicious soup recipe is so simple to make, just toss everything, except the peanut butter into your Instant Pot (or large pot on stove top). Follow the cooking directions below for your method of choice.
Stir in the peanut butter once your soup is ready and garnish with green onion, chopped peanuts, sriracha, or any other desired topping.
For my veggies, I’m using:
- sweet potato
- red bell pepper
Feel free to customize to suit your tastes. You may sub the sweet potatoes for white, if preferred.
Or you can add chopped onion, peas, cauliflower, or any of your favourite vegetables.
I use canned chickpeas here because the vegetables will cook quickly and dry chickpeas will not cook well in one pot.
If you do prefer using dry chickpeas, and you’re using the stove top method, you can soak them overnight, then cook the chickpeas in the broth and add the veggies in the last 15-20 minutes of cooking for similar results.
You may need a little extra broth to make up for the extra cooking time.
When your soup is ready, stir in the peanut butter and serve.
You’re going to LOVE this Thai peanut chickpea soup! It’s:
- oil free
- gluten free
- EASY to make
- and mouth watering
The flavours here are truly incredible. This dish would also be great served over a bed of rice, if you’re not quite feeling like soup.
So whether you prefer to enjoy this as a soup, or ladled over rice, this recipe will certainly be a winner.
More Vegan Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
- Vegan Pasta e Fagioli
- Mushroom Barley Soup
- Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
- Perfectly Fluffy Coconut Rice
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 zucchini diced
- 1 medium sweet potato diced (approx 2 cups)
- 8 oz package cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 19 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed (approx 2 cups)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce if not avoiding gluten
- 1 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- green onion
- chopped peanuts
Instant Pot Directions
- Dump all the ingredients, except the peanut butter into your Instant Pot and lock the lid, ensuring the valve is set to the sealing position. Set to high pressure for 4 minutes, (it will take about 10-15 minutes to reach pressure) then quick release the steam once the timer is complete.
- When safe to open the lid, stir in the peanut butter. Serve garnished with desired toppings.
Stove Top Directions
- Add all the ingredients, except the peanut butter to a large pot with a little extra water or broth to cover the veggies, as needed.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until veggies are fork tender. Stir in the peanut butter and serve with desired garnishes.