When you’re trying to eat healthy, add veggies to everything, like in this spicy veggie pasta. So much flavour packed into every bite. The cayenne spice really packs some heat in this delicious dish. Plus, it’s SO easy to make, making this a perfect weeknight meal.
Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Pasta isn’t actually healthy. Yes it’s high in calories and carbs. But my logic is if you add a ton of veggies, and eat a small bowl, then it’s not AS much pasta that you’re consuming. That makes this healthy right? Or at least, healthy-ish.
So as I was saying, this makes a great weeknight meal since it’s super quick and easy. Just saute your veggies, cook your pasta, and mix it all together! I used Barilla’s Rotini pasta, but you can use any pasta you’d like, including gluten free varieties if needed.
I served my spicy veggie pasta garnished with extra green onion. Or you could use some fresh parsley or cilantro.You may also skip the garnish all together if you prefer. Either way, this dish will satisfy your taste buds, and leave you wanting more!
- 1/2 tsp cooking oil I used grape seed
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large red pepper thinly sliced
- 5-6 cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 package dry pasta I used Rotini
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Generously salt a large pot of water and bring to a boil and cook your pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add your onion, pepper, mushrooms and seasonings and cook over medium heat until softened and lightly caramelized, approx 10 minutes. Turn off heat, add the green onion (reserving some for garnish if desired), and stir.
- Drain pasta and return to the pot, add your veggies and the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and mix well.
- Serve your spicy veggie pasta with extra green onion if desired.