Sometimes we all need some comfort food, am I right? Whether it’s because we’ve had a long and stressful work day, or the kids are driving us bonkers, delicious food seems to comfort the soul. For me, comfort food often means a pasta dish of some kind. Maybe growing up in an Italian household conditioned me to love pasta eternally, or maybe it’s just that damn delicious! This time, I’ve got a moderately spicy, roasted red pepper pasta dish for you. And just like the plate says, it is super YUM!
The roasted red pepper sauce is made entirely from scratch, using only 8 ingredients, and simple methods. This sauce is luscious and satisfying, without using dairy to give it the creaminess you’re looking for. Plus it’s oil free, so we can go ahead and call this healthy right? 🙂
How do you make roasted red pepper sauce from scratch?
First, cut your peppers in half and remove the seeds. Then cut your onion into quarters, but leave the skins on your garlic. Nothing to prepare here.
Add all the veggies to a lined baking tray, your peppers hollow side down. Roast your veggies until the pepper skins are mostly blackened. Then remove from the oven. This should take around 20-25 minutes.
Now you can easily remove the skins from the peppers. You’ll notice that the blacker skins remove easiest, requiring little to no effort at all. Now you can also peel the skins from your garlic cloves. These will also remove super easily after roasting. Once your veggies are prepped, toss them into your blender, along with all remaining sauce ingredients and process until smooth and creamy! That’s it! Super simple creamy sauce.
Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to the package directions, using gluten free pasta if needed. Drain and return to the pot and pour enough sauce over your cooked noodles to prevent them from sticking. You may use the remaining sauce to ladle over each bowl when serving. Then garnish your roasted red pepper pasta with fresh basil or parsley and some Vegan Parmesan Cheese if desired. If you want extra heat, you may also garnish with chili flakes. Enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this roasted red pepper pasta dish, and I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below.
Want more delicious comforting pasta dishes? Give some of these a try!
- Penne Aglio e Olio (Pasta w/ Garlic & Oil)
- Three Cheese Vegan Lasagna – Gluten Free
- Instant Pot Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
- Vegetable Bolognese Zucchini Noodles
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 3 red bell peppers sliced in half, core and seeds removed
- 1 red onion quartered
- 5 cloves garlic unpeeled
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 454 g package spaghetti or pasta of choice (gluten free if needed)
- Optional Garnish: Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees roast and line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Then add your peppers (hollow side down), onion and garlic to the tray and roast until peppers are blackened, approx. 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside for a few minutes to cool, before peeling your peppers and garlic. Then add them to a high speed blender, along with all remaining ingredients (except the pasta) and process until smooth and creamy.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Then cook your pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Quickly pour about one third of your sauce over the pasta and mix well to prevent your noodles from sticking.
- Then serve your noodles with an extra scoop of the red pepper sauce in each bowl. Garnish with Vegan Parmesan Cheese if using.