Next time you want a change up in your green veggies give these spicy rapini a try! (Also known as broccoli rabe.) Their beautiful green colour will certainly brighten your plate, and satisfy your taste buds. The medley of flavours between the bitter greens and the spicy chili flakes with the garlic and olive oil is a wonderful combination. Bonus, this dish is so quick and easy to make and is ready in only 8 minutes!
If you’ve never tried rapini before, they are similar to swiss chard, but a little bit less sweet. This green veggie is very popular among Italians. I’ve grown up eating rapini quite often as a child. If you’re not accustomed to the taste, you may find it a little bitter at first. But the olive oil, garlic and chili flakes combo makes this super food an absolute joy for your taste buds.
Rapini, or broccoli rabe is an excellent source of vitamins, including A, B6, C and K. Plus it’s loaded with minerals including calcium, iron and potassium. Rapini is also been said to contain cancer-fighting and cancer-preventing properties. Although I can’t verify the accuracy of this, it definitely can’t hurt to include more veggies in your diet. Especially one that is extremely low in calories, and high in vitamins and minerals.
Give this spicy rapini a try, and let me know what you think in the comments below.
Want more healthy and delicious side dishes?
- 1 bunch rapini or broccoli rabe, trimmed & cut in half
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes or to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, add your rapini and enough generously salted water to almost cover, and bring to a boil over high heat for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, add your oil and garlic and sauté over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat. Add the drained rapini and chili flakes and toss to coat. Serve and enjoy