Vegan burritos are taken to the next level with smoky, tangy, incredibly flavourful BBQ jackfruit! Loaded with your favourite toppings and wrapped up to perfection. Or make it a jackfruit burrito bowl over a bed of lettuce for a lighter option.
This recipe was originally published in July 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ This is super easy and FANTASTIC! So much flavor. I mixed it with black beans, rice, corn, tomatoes, and cilantro. Wow. Just wow! Thank you so much. – Althea
These jackfruit burritos will blow your mind! They’re filled with flavour and incredibly satisfying!
If you’re new to jackfruit, this simple recipe is a great place to start. Just like my jackfruit fajitas, they’re a fun twist for your next Taco Tuesday, or anytime you’re craving Mexican food.
Why you’ll love these
I mean, who doesn’t love a good burrito?
But these vegan burritos are:
- Flavourful! With shredded jackfruit smothered in a homemade smoky, tangy BBQ sauce, your taste buds will be salivating!
- Easy to make with THREE cooking options to suit whatever mood you’re in. 😉
- Versatile: You can switch up your toppings for a new jackfruit burrito every time.
- Makes enough for leftovers so you can pack lunches or have dinner ready the next day.
Ingredients + Substitutions
Here’s what you’ll need to make the jackfruit.
- Jackfruit: Make sure to use YOUNG GREEN JACKFRUIT canned in BRINE and not syrup. The syrupy kind is way too sweet for your jackfruit burrito.
- Soy sauce: If you need this gluten free, use Tamari instead. If you need it soy free, you may use coconut aminos with similar results. If you omit entirely, add half a teaspoon of salt to the sauce to make up for it.
- Maple syrup: If you don’t have any on hand, any other liquid sweetener will work. Or you can skip it if you don’t mind less sweetness in your BBQ sauce.
- Ketchup: If you’re avoiding sugar and can’t find sugar free, tomato paste also works well.
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Prepare the jackfruit
Drain your jackfruit and rinse very well to wash away as much of the brine flavour as possible.
Then pull the chunks apart using two forks or your hands and place them in a small bowl. It will shred easily. (photo 1)
Add all the BBQ sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. (photo 2)
Add the BBQ sauce to the shredded jackfruit and mix well to evenly coat. (photos 3-4)
Then follow the cooking instructions in the recipe card below for your preferred cooking method. There are instructions for the oven, stovetop or Instant Pot.
My preferred method is baking as it dries out the jackfruit pieces making them less saucy and I prefer the texture that way. But if saucy is your thing, use the stovetop or pressure cooker method.
The images below illustrate the baking/oven method. Arrange the jackfruit on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. (photos 5-6)
Stuff your burrito
Use any toppings you normally enjoy on burritos. Just make sure not to overstuff them or they’ll be difficult to close, hold and eat.
If using, start with a layer of rice, followed by beans, and then the jackfruit in the center of your tortilla. (photos 7-9)
Next, add your veggies of choice. I like diced tomato, cilantro, corn, and black olives. (photo 10)
Finally, add some crisp lettuce. (photo 12)
Assemble your burrito
Start by folding up the bottom portion, gently tucking in any toppings that come loose. (photo 13)
Then fold the top down and roll the sides over top. (photos 14-15)
NOTES: If using guacamole, fold that side up last as the guac acts as a binder to keep your jackfruit burrito sealed. 😉 Make sure all four sides are sealed so toppings aren’t falling out as you bite into it. Practice makes perfect, so take your time and do your best. If it falls apart, just grab a fork and call it a deconstructed burrito or salad. 🙂
Vegan burrito toppings
Use all of your favourite toppings to build your jackfruit burrito, here are some great options:
- Choose a grain: cooked rice, barley or quinoa.
- Protein: Black beans, brown beans, refried beans or baked beans.
- Veggies: Diced tomato, sliced jalapeno, black olives, sliced avocado, shredded red cabbage, and/or corn.
- Fresh herbs: Cilantro, parsley or dill.
- Sauce: Salsa, cashew cream, guacamole, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and/or hot sauce.
Store leftover toppings in separate containers in your fridge for 3-4 days and assemble your jackfruit burrito just before eating to prevent the tortilla from getting soggy.
I don’t recommend freezing these.
- Do not over stuff your vegan burritos or they will be difficult to close and hold and may fall apart. Less is more!
More jackfruit recipes
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 20 ounce can young green jackfruit in brine or water NOT syrup
For the Sauce
- Drain and rinse your jackfruit very well to wash away the brine flavour. Then use your hands (or two forks on a cutting board) to pull apart the chunks of jackfruit until shredded. Place in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl add ALL the sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Then pour it over the jackfruit and mix to evenly coat. Choose a cooking method below.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the coated jackfruit on the tray and bake for 20 minutes, mixing once at the halfway point. Remove from the oven.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add the coated jackfruit to your Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Then naturally release for 10 minutes. If not fully released after 10 minutes, quick release the remaining pressure and open the lid once safe to do so.
Stove Top Instructions
- Place the coated jackfruit in a medium pan and cook over medium-high heat and stir occasionally, until the sauce is mostly absorbed. This will take about 10-12 minutes.
Assemble your Vegan Burritos
- Assemble your jackfruit burrito with desired toppings and tortilla wrap of choice, or make it a jackfruit burrito bowl over a bed of lettuce with desired toppings on top.