Beautiful, colourful, flavourful, Mexican salad is topped with my favourite simple recipe for Guacamole! Yes, guacamole! I mean, we use guacamole for dunking, and layered in burritos and tacos, so why not dolloped on a salad? My thoughts exactly. 🙂
How do you make a Mexican salad?
I use 5 basic ingredients for the salad base:
- purple cabbage
- red pepper
- cilantro (If you’re among the small percentage of people who think cilantro tastes like soap, you may sub for parsley instead!)
The salad base can be prepared ahead and refrigerated as long as you’re not adding any of the dressing or other wet ingredients. When ready to serve, whip up your 3 Minute Easy Guacamole and chop a few additional (optional) toppings if desired.
I include some diced tomato, extra corn on the side for anyone who wants extra sweetness. I also chopped up some jalapeno for a little bit of kick. My husband loves everything spicy! Serve the salad with a generous portion of guacamole and lime wedges to decorate the plate. Enjoy!
This fresh tasting salad is PERFECT for bbq season, or just any time you want a delicious, Mexican inspired dish. It’s crunchy, sweet, fresh, tangy, and scrumptious! Also makes a wonderful pot luck option to bring to your next event.
To make this salad more filling, feel free to add some black beans to the mix and enjoy as a main course.
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also like these!
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole [V+GF+Oil Free]
- 5 Minute Chickpea Salad Sandwich [Oil Free]
- Low Carb Mexican Zucchini Boats
- Coleslaw Salad w/ Oil Free Thai Peanut Dressing
- Oil Free Mexican Inspired Taco Buddha Bowl
For the Salad
- 1 small purple cabbage (or half large) shredded
- 3 large carrots peeled & shredded
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup corn
3 Minute Easy Guacamole
- 3 ripe avocados peeled & pitted
- 2 tbsp extra chunky medium salsa
- 1/2 fresh squeezed lime
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mash your avocados with a fork or potato masher. Then add remaining guacamole ingredients and mix to combine.
- Serve a generous portion of guacamole with your salad and enjoy.