Creamy, warming, mouth watering, butternut squash soup is just what the body needs as the temperatures start to chill. This delicious soup is simple to prepare and you can make it in your hands off Instant Pot, or stove top.
It’s dairy free, and naturally gluten free. Plus it’s oil free to keep the fat and calorie content low, and can easily be made nut free if needed.
Whether it’s soup season, or any other season, there’s something especially comforting and nourishing about a nice bowl of soup. If you love soups as much as I do, I encourage you to check out this incredible collection of healthy vegan soup recipes too!
We usually enjoyed a bowl of this butternut squash soup on Thanksgiving, or any chilly, fall day. (And if you’re looking for more vegan Thanksgiving recipes, be sure to check out this collection.)
Or, if you’re still with me on the squash soup, let’s get right to it.
How to make butternut squash soup
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Whether you’re making this soup in your Instant Pot or on stove top, begin by adding your holy trinity of veggies into the pot. Onions, carrots, and celery are a such a great way to start any soup. They deliver so much flavour to the finished product.
Sauté these three ingredients with a tablespoon or two of water, until softened, about 5 minutes. I’m using water to limit the calories here, but if you prefer, you may also use a neutral oil to sauté.
Next, you will add all remaining ingredients to your pot, except for the milk. If using your Instant Pot, close the lid, set the valve to sealing position, and set to high pressure for 6 minutes. Keep in mind, it will take about 15 minutes to reach pressure. If you’re cooking on your stove top, bring your pot to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer for about 20-25 minutes until fork tender.
While the soup is cooking, this is a good time to prepare your sour cream, if using. Then refrigerate until needed.
When your soup is cooked, use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients. If you do not have an immersion blender, you may carefully transfer the soup in batches to a stand blender.
Once smooth, stir in your Cashew Milk or plant milk of choice. Use soy or coconut milk if avoiding nuts. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
Then serve in bowls, garnished with Dairy Free Sour Cream (Cashew Cream) if using.
How to customize this butternut squash soup recipe?
If you’d like to make some variations, feel free to use your imagination, or try one of these substitutions.
- You may wish to roast your butternut squash to add even more depth of flavour. To do so, roast the squash while the soup is cooking with the remaining ingredients. Then once cooked, add the squash to the pot and blend.
- Have fun with different garnishes! Try pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, fresh grated nutmeg, smoked paprika, vegan Parmesan cheese, fresh chives or sage, or vegan walnut cheese sauce.
- Want to make it sweeter? Use honeycrisp or golden delicious apples instead of granny smith, and use sweet potatoes instead of yellow. You may also add some maple syrup or unrefined coconut sugar to really amp up the sweetness.
- Want to add some kick? Add a dash of cayenne pepper, or a chili or jalapeno pepper to the mix.
- If you’d like to up the protein content, skip the milk and blend in some silken tofu instead. (If you hate tofu, I promise you won’t know it’s in there!)
This recipe is so customizable, so feel free to make it your very own! Let me know in the comments below how you make your butternut squash soup. Enjoy! 🙂
More favourite soup recipes
- Thai Peanut Chickpea Soup Instant Pot
- Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
- Vegan Tomato Bisque
- Instant Pot Vegan Stew [Oil Free]
- Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup
- Carrot Cauliflower Soup with Dill & Sage
- Vegetable Barley Soup with Beans
- Easy “Cream” of Broccoli Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
- Jalapeno Popper Soup
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 large celery stalk chopped
- 2 lb butternut squash peeled and cut into 1" cubes (approx 5 cups cubed)
- 1 lb yellow potatoes peeled and cut into 1" cubes (approx 2 cups cubed)
- 1 granny smith apple cut into chunks, core and seeds removed
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew milk or soy milk for nut free
- salt and pepper to taste
- dairy free sour cream (cashew cream) optional garnish
Instant Pot Directions
- Select the sauté function on your Instant pot and add the onion, carrot, and celery with a tablespoon or two of water. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the milk and give it a stir. Close the lid and set the valve to the sealing position. Now set to pressure cook for 6 minutes (it will take about 15 minutes to reach pressure and then quick release once the timer is complete.
- When it is safe to do so, open the lid and puree your soup using an immersion blender. (Or carefully transfer to a blender in batches and puree until creamy.) Stir in the plant milk and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with cashew cream if desired.
Stove Top Directions
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery with a tablespoon or two of water to a large pot and sauté until softened, approx 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the milk and mix well. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until squash is fork tender, approx 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and puree your soup using an immersion blender. (Or carefully transfer to a blender in batches and puree until creamy.) Stir in the plant milk and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with cashew cream if desired.