A healthy take on your favourite classic Irish dish. This chicken shepherd’s pie is low in calories in fat. Especially when compared to its traditional recipe. Plus, it’s gluten free, dairy free, and has the added bonus of being absolutely delicious! It’s also a great make ahead, freezer friendly dish for those busy evenings when you just don’t have the time.
A traditional shepherd’s pie typically uses lamb, but in the interest of a lighter dish, I’m using chicken. To make this dish vegan or vegetarian, you could also use cooked or canned lentils as I’ve done in my Super Comforting Vegan Shepherd’s Pie. This dish really is quite versatile!
To prepare your chicken shepherd’s pie…
Roughly chop up your potatoes and get them boiling. Meanwhile, begin sautéing your onion and carrots in a large skillet. Once your veggies have softened, add the ground chicken and sauté until no longer pink. Your potatoes should be ready for mashing at this point, so drain and return to the same pot. The heat from the potatoes will get any excess moisture in the pot to evaporate. Then add your milk and garlic powder and mash away!
Once the components are all prepped, combine the veggies and chicken into one layer on the bottom of your baking dish. Then evenly spread your mashed potatoes over top. Bake and enjoy!
This chicken shepherd’s pie has a ton of veggies, including peas, corn and carrots. Plus, for the mashed potatoes, I’ve combined both Yukon gold and sweet potatoes to add even more nutrients and deliciousness. I’ve tried making sweet potato mash for shepherd’s pie in the past. It’s pretty good, but I find the texture lacks a bit of that creaminess that white potatoes have to offer. Especially if you’re trying to keep it low calorie and skip the butter and oils. So this combo of two potato types really does work perfectly! It’s flavourful, and it doesn’t require any butter or oil to get a deliciously creamy texture. Woo hoo! All the flavour, all the texture, without all the calories and fat. That’s definitely a huge win in my books!
For more classic dishes with a lighter spin, try these!
- Seriously the BEST Vegan Lasagna
- Easy Vegan Cauliflower Tacos [GF+Oil Free]
- Vegetable Bolognese Zucchini Noodles
- Coconut Peanut Veggie Noodles [V+GF+Oil Free]
- 1 tsp avocado oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled & finely chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 garlic powder
For The Mashed Potatoes
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled & cubed (approx 4 cups cubed)
- 1 sweet potato peeled & cubed (approx 2 cups cubed)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cashew milk or milk of choice
- Fill a medium saucepan with salted water and bring to a boil. Then add the cubed potatoes and cook until easily pierced with a fork, approx 10 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Then add the garlic powder and the milk and mash using a potato masher until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the oil and sauté your onion and carrots until softened, about 5 minutes. Then add the ground chicken and all the seasonings and cook until no longer pink, roughly 8 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line a 9"x13" baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add the veggie and chicken mixture to the bottom of your baking dish in a single layer. Then add the mashed potatoes over top in a smooth, even layer. (I use a silicone spatula to help the potatoes spread across the top.)
- Cover the tray with parchment paper and aluminum foil and bake in your preheated oven for 35 minutes. Then set your oven to broil, remove the paper, and broil for 5 minutes to get the potatoes nicely golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for at least 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!