When it’s grilling season, don’t forget the veggies! These grilled tomatoes with homemade chimichurri are bursting with flavour! Ready in no time, for a simple side dish that everyone will love.
This recipe was originally published in June 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
There’s something about grilling veggies that really amplifies their flavour. Whether it’s grilled peppers, zucchini, or in this case, grilled tomatoes!
But don’t forget the homemade chimichurri sauce! It’s bursting with fresh flavour and deliciousness!
Which tomatoes are best for grilling?
I prefer grilling beefsteak tomatoes as they are usually quite large in size, making them resilient to the grilling process.
Plus, they have a hearty texture and great flavour!
NOTE: If you can’t find beefsteak tomatoes in your supermarket, they may be labelled as hot house tomatoes, so grab those instead.
How to make them
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
First, make your chimichurri and set aside.
Depending on the size of your tomatoes, slice them in half or in thirds. You want your slices around ½″ in thickness so they hold up on the grill.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl and place your halved tomatoes inside. Gently mix.
Place the tomatoes on your grill and generously brush the tops with the chimichurri sauce.
Cook the tomatoes for 3-5 minutes and then flip.
Baste the reverse side with more chimichurri and grill an additional 3-5 minutes, until you have nice grill lines, without over cooking.
NOTE: Do not overcook the tomatoes or they will get very soft and fall apart.
What to serve them with
Use them to top toast. Or enjoy on the side of these delicious vegan hot dogs.
- Use tomatoes that are firm (but ripe). Softer, overly ripe tomatoes will not hold up well on the grill.
- Do not cut your tomato slices too thin, or they won’t hold up on the grill.
- Make sure not to overcook your tomatoes, or they will get too soft.
More delicious side dishes
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes ripe but firm
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice approx. half a lime
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ recipe chimichurri sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, lime juice and salt and set aside.
- Halve your tomatoes or cut in thirds if your tomatoes are very large. You want roughly ½" thick tomato slices. Add the tomatoes to your marinade bowl and mix to coat.
- Heat your grill to high heat and place the tomatoes in a single layer, basting the tops with the chimichurri sauce. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until grill marks form. Then flip and baste the other side with more chimichurri and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Do not overcook or the tomatoes will get too soft.