Cornbread is one of those foolproof recipes that tastes absolutely amazing. This easy vegan cornbread recipe is actually one that my mom has been making for years. I did tweak and modify it a little to make it vegan and refined sugar free, but even she admits it tastes JUST as great. In fact, no one even notices any difference at all.
How do you make vegan cornbread?
Traditionally, this recipe calls for eggs, and quite a bit of sugar. As I said, I made some modifications.
For starters, I replace the egg with a flax egg, but if you’re not vegan or avoiding eggs, you may use a regular egg here. I also reduce the sugar content and replace traditionally used white sugar, with unrefined coconut sugar.
If using the flax egg, prepare it in a large bowl and set aside. Next, combine all your dry ingredients in a medium size bowl, and then add the remaining wet ingredients to the bowl with the flax egg and mix well. Slowly pour the dry into the wet and mix until just combined, without over mixing.
The batter will be quite thick so use a silicone spatula to pour and scrape it into your prepared loaf pan. Smooth the batter gently, but worry if it doesn’t look perfect. I promise it will taste perfect!
Once baked, allow your loaf to cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing. You may serve as is, or with some gravy or cranberry sauce, which is especially delicious on holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas.
This amazingly delicious cornbread is:
- just the right amount of sweet
- easy to make, using simple methods
- perfect for Thanksgiving, or any time really!
For more delicious recipes to enjoy around the holidays, check out these!
- Chickpea Meatless Meatloaf with Smoked Maple Glaze
- Creamy Autumn Soup w/ Squash & Pumpkin
- Vegan Cheesecake Squares w/ Salted Caramel & Apple Walnut Topping
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (or stovetop)
- Sweet & Salty Baked Pumpkin Fries
- Easy Pumpkin Spice Hummus
- Loaf Pan
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Prepare your flax egg in a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together all your dry ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Then to the bowl with your flax egg, add the milk and oil and mix well. Then add your dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined, without over mixing.
- Pour your batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let your loaf cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing.