Sneaky spinach banana pancakes are a great way to pack in extra nutrients. Made right in your blender, with JUST 6 ingredients. These green pancakes are healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast or dinner. They’re flavourful, naturally sweetened, and incredibly delicious.
This recipe was originally published in March 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
These banana spinach pancakes are wholesome and completely guilt free!
Now I won’t lie to you. These are not going to be the fluffiest pancakes ever, so if that’s what you’re searching for, try THESE instead.
But if you’re on board with a healthy pancake, that tastes delicious, stick with me!
What makes these healthier?
- I’m using whole wheat flour over white for an added nutrient boost and unprocessed flour option.
- These pancakes are naturally sweetened, with nothing other than a ripe banana.
- Sneaking in a full cup of spinach never hurt anyone, right?
How to make them
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients and make sure to use a ripe banana.
Add all the ingredients to your blender and process until smooth. (photos 1-2)
Pour your pancake batter directly from the blender spout to your griddle, cooking 4-5 minutes, until several bubbles appear on the surface and edges appear set. (photo 3)
Flip your pancakes and continue cooking until cooked through. (photo 4)
Serve with fresh fruit, chopped nuts, and maple syrup. Or enjoy plain! They’re that good! 🙂
- Use an overly ripe banana with plenty of brown spots. Since we’re not adding any sugar or sweetener to the pancake batter, a ripe banana is needed for sweetness.
- Don’t use more than 1 cup of spinach. I’ve tried. 😉 Unfortunately, too much will result in soggy middles, so stick to the recipe.
- Use medium heat (NOT high) and cook your pancakes longer than you would a traditional pancake. These need about 4-5 minutes per side to fully cook through. Using high heat results in cooked outsides but mushy middles.
More wholesome pancake recipes!
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes
- Banana Flour Pancakes
- Peanut Butter Pancakes w/ PB Caramel
- Vegan Savoury Pancakes w/ Lentils + Spinach
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 145 grams whole wheat flour approx. 1 cup
- 1 + 1/4 cup unsweetened cashew milk or almond or soy milk
- 1 medium very ripe banana
- 1 cup baby spinach loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Add all the ingredients to your blender and process on high speed until pureed.
- Heat your nonstick griddle to medium heat and pour the batter directly from your blender spout to make pancakes that are approx. 4 inches in diameter.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on one side, until several bubbles appear on top and the edges appear set. Then, flip and cook another 3-4 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit and enjoy!