Here’s a classic and easy creamy potato salad recipe without the eggs and dairy! This tastes just as great as the original. In fact, no one will know the difference if you don’t tell them.
When you’re invited to a vegan pot luck, sometimes you need to improvise! There’s no need to stress over what to bring sine most recipes can easily be adapted. So here I have what I consider to be a classic potato salad, just minus any eggs or dairy. Making this a perfectly acceptable dish to bring to a vegan gathering.
So what constitutes a classic potato salad?
- A green herb, either dill, parsley or cilantro
- and well, potatoes of course?
Once you cover all of the above, you can add in any other veggies you like. If you want to mix things up a little, get creative. In this case, I use corn and red pepper to add some colour.
Then there’s the issue of a creamy sauce. Potato salads often use mayonnaise as the base with a few other spices and condiments to punch it up. So I swapped for Vegenaise, which if you haven’t already tried, tastes EXACTLY like regular mayo. Then I add some mustard and apple cider vinegar for the tang. Then some spices, and mix it all up! And there you have it! Potato salad, veganized.
I like to cut my potatoes before boiling to save time on the cooking process. This easy creamy potato salad can be made very quickly by saving all that cooking time.
While the potatoes are cooking, I quickly prep my toppings. Once cooked, let the potatoes cool down in an ice bath so they don’t get too mushy. Then toss everything together and enjoy. Easy!
- 3 lbs red or yellow potatoes peeled & diced (to speed up cooking process)
- 1 cup corn
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 1/2 packed cilantro chopped (or you may use fresh parsley or dill)
- 4 baby dill pickles diced
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo or regular mayo
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Add potatoes to a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes, watching carefully not to over cook. (The potatoes will cook quickly since they are already diced.) Once cooked, immediately drain and rinse with cold water. Return to the pot and cover with ice cold water for 2-3 minutes to stop the cooking process and make it easier to handle. Drain the potatoes again and add them to a large bowl.
- Add all remaining veggies to the bowl and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the Vegenaise, salt, pepper, mustard and apple cider vinegar and mix well. Then pour the dressing over your potato salad and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight. Potato salad is best served cold.