Rich and creamy with the perfect amount of tang, this dairy free sour cream is the perfect substitute when you need a non dairy option. Easy to make, using only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of hands on time!
This recipe was originally published in July 2018. It has been updated for content and photos.
What’s to love about vegan sour cream?
Why use non dairy sour cream? Whether it’s because you’re allergic to dairy, you’ve chosen a vegan lifestyle or you just want a healthier option, this is the perfect solution.
- It’s healthier than the regular stuff. Made using wholesome ingredients like cashews, lemon juice, vinegar, water and salt. Were there any ingredients here you can’t pronounce? Nope, didn’t think so. That’s usually a good sign. What you might find in store bought versions is thickeners and preservatives such as carrageenan and other hard to pronounce words. None of that stuff in here!
- Easy to make. Using only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of hands on time, there’s just no reason not to make your own vegan sour cream. It’s quicker than heading out to the store to grab some.
- Tastes like the real deal! I don’t often claim that vegan recipes taste like the “real deal” but in this case, it really does taste like authentic dairy filled sour cream. I make and serve this all the time to vegans and omnivores alike, and everyone agrees, this tastes JUST like real thing.
How to make dairy free sour cream
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients.
NOTE: If you do not have a high speed blender, soak your cashews first and then drain.
Add all your ingredients to a high speed blender and process on high until smooth and creamy. (photos 1-2)
If you have a Vitamix or similar powerful blender, you don’t need to soak the cashews first.
Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer and then use as desired.
How to use it
- Make some for your next Taco Tuesday with delicious veggie ground taco meat, burritos, or nachos.
- Add some chives over top and serve it as a dip with your next veggie tray.
- Use it on your low calorie Mexican zucchini boats.
- Add some to a creamy soup like my butternut squash soup or dollop it over some chili.
- Use a little extra water or vinegar and make a salad dressing.
- Dunk your lentil veggie nuggets or chickpea nuggets.
- Add a tablespoon or two of nutritional yeast and make it a cream cheese for your bagels or toast.
- Top your baked potatoes, or dip your potato wedges or fries.
- Use some in your mashed potatoes to make them creamier.
- Add some fresh fruit on top and call it breakfast.
SO. MANY. OPTIONS.
How long does it keep?
Your vegan sour cream will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. (Possibly longer, but I haven’t managed to keep it longer than that.)
You may also freeze it in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Expert Tips to make it just right
- Use unsalted, raw cashews. Whole cashews or pieces work fine, but make sure they are not roasted and not salted. You don’t want any roasted flavour in your non dairy sour cream. The richness and creaminess is best when using RAW cashews.
- Soak your cashews. If you DO NOT have a high speed blender like a Vitamix, Blendtec, or other powerful tool, soak your cashews first to avoid grittiness. I like using a quick soak method (as opposed to overnight). Boil some water in a kettle or on stove top and cover the cashews with the boiling hot water for 30 minutes. Then drain and use as directed.
- Chill in the refrigerator. This really tastes best when chilled. Plus it will thicken up in the fridge and truly resemble the texture of the full fat version you know and love. If you’re in a hurry, stick it in the freezer for 15 minutes instead. (Just don’t forget it in there.)
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Add all your ingredients to a high speed blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate for one hour or longer before serving to chill and thicken.