I love soup at any time of year, but especially when the weather starts turning. After a couple of rainy, gloomy days, soup has been on my mind. So today I’m bringing you yet another creamy (but dairy free) soup recipe! Creamy soups are my favourite, they are so satisfying! This creamy cauliflower mushroom soup is not only healthy and packed with nutrients, but delicious too! I added quinoa to each bowl to make it a little more hearty and filling. At the same time adding tons of protein and fiber.
This dish is so quick and SO easy to whip up…
and uses only a few staple ingredients. It’s just perfect for your busy weeknight dinners. You can even prep your veggies the night before if you’re really pressed for time. I often wash and cut veggies well before I begin cooking to make my evenings a breeze.
To cut down on cooking time I start cooking my quinoa first. Then at the same time, I get my soup going so both will be ready at about the same time.
Enjoy your cauliflower mushroom soup with crackers or crouton. Or garnished with ground black pepper or roasted red peppers to add a splash of colour.
Want even more dairy free, but creamy soup ideas?
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil, then add the quinoa and give it a quick stir. Leaving the lid on, and without removing the pot from the element, turn off heat and let it cook. This method produces perfectly fluffy quinoa and does not require any babysitting. The water will be absorbed and quinoa fully cooked in approx 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the cooking oil over medium heat and add the onions and saute until softened and slightly translucent, approx 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and the mushrooms and saute for a few minutes more, until mushrooms are slightly reduced.
- Add the cauliflower, salt, and enough of the broth to almost cover the veggies. If you need more than 4 cups to achieve this, make up the difference with water. Keep in mind, you don't want to fully cover the cauliflower with the broth or your soup will be too runny.
- Simmer your soup until the veggies are soft, about 7-8 minutes, and then using an immersion blender, puree your soup.
- Add a small scoop of your cooked quinoa to each bowl and ladle the cauliflower mushroom soup over top. Serve with crackers or croutons if desired.