You may remember my recent Pulled Jackfruit Burrito post. Well I’ve one upped myself with this gorgeous, tasty, comforting BBQ jackfruit pizza!
Jackfruit is the perfect texture for a meat replacement, whether it’s being used as pork like in this recipe or as “chicken” in my vegan chicken salad.
How to make pulled jackfruit pizza?
Before you begin, get your cashews soaking to make the vegan mozzarella cheese.
Then begin prepping the jackfruit. Drain and rinse your can of jackfruit, and make sure you’re using canned jackfruit in water or brine, NOT syrup. Pull apart the chunks of jackfruit using two forks or your hands. It will pull apart easily and resembles pulled pork.
Add the jackfruit to your Instant Pot or skillet, depending on your chosen method of cooking. Then whisk together all the sauce ingredients and pour over top.
While the jackfruit is cooking, prepare your vegan mozzarella cheese by blending all the ingredients and cooking according to its directions. Refrigerate until ready for use to help it firm up a bit. Then chop up your onions and any additional toppings if desired.
Finally, you will assemble your pizza with the prepared jackfruit, the vegan mozzarella, and red onion. If needed, you may use gluten free pizza dough or flatbreads.
I found this to be the perfect combination, but as always, your welcome to experiment and add more toppings if desired. Mushrooms and black olives might also make great options.
Once baked, slice and serve with dipping sauce, if desired, or enjoy as is.
This pizza also makes great leftovers and tastes AMAZING eaten cold out of the refrigerator. I love cold pizza, is that weird? This one in particular tastes so so good warm or cold. To reheat, use your oven or toaster oven. The microwave will likely result in a soggy crust.
More vegan pizza recipes you’ll love!
- Oil Free Polenta Pizza Crust
- Lentil Pizza Crust
- Pizza Caprese w/ Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Potato Pizza with Rosemary & Garlic
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
For the Jackfruit
For the Pizza
- 2 12" multigrain thin crust flatbread or flatbread/pizza dough of choice
- 1/2 recipe vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- Start by soaking your cashews for the vegan mozzarella cheese. Then start preparing your jackfruit by following either the Instant Pot or stove top directions below.
Instant Pot Jackfruit Directions
- Drain and rinse your jackfruit and place on a cutting board. Using two forks (or your hands) pull apart the chunks of jackfruit until shredded. Then transfer to your Instant Pot along with all remaining jackfruit ingredients. Mix well, close the lid and set the valve to seal, and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Let your Instant Pot naturally release, which will take around 10 minutes. If not fully released after 10 minutes, quick release the remaining pressure.
Stove Top Jackfruit Directions
- Whisk together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Drain and rinse your jackfruit and place on a cutting board. Using two forks (or your hands) pull apart the chunks of jackfruit until shredded. Transfer the jackfruit to a large skillet and pour the sauce over top. Cook over medium heat until the sauce is mostly absorbed, for approx 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
For the Cheese
- While your jackfruit is cooking, prepare the vegan mozzarella cheese and refrigerate until ready to use to let it firm up a bit, making it easier to scoop onto your flatbread or pizza dough.
For the Pizza Assembly
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking tray to fit both flatbreads with parchment paper, or two smaller round trays.
- Assemble your flatbreads with a generous amount of the jackfruit, and scoop the vegan mozzarella using a melon baller or teaspoon to place dollops of cheese all over the pizza and sprinkle the red onion on top. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until edges are golden, mozzarella is slightly melted, and onions are cooked. Slice and enjoy!