Apple cranberry chicken breast rolls are perfectly festive for your holiday dinner menu. But don’t let that stop you from trying these any time of year! This healthy stuffed chicken option is not just delicious! It is also dairy free and gluten free, making it a suitable choice for those with intolerances. Sticky, gluten free quinoa holds this stuffing together, without the use of cheese, typically found in a stuffed chicken breast.
To prepare your apple cranberry chicken rolls…
…cook your quinoa while you chop your tart apple, I like granny smith! Then combine the apple with your cranberries, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and seasonings. The lemon juice and vinegar will prevent your apple from turning brown while cooking the quinoa.
Once cooked, mix your quinoa into the mix. Now your stuffing is ready! Taste for seasonings, and add a little more if needed. Depending on the vegetable broth you’re using to cook the quinoa, you may or may not need to add a little salt.
Divide the stuffing between your five flattened chicken breasts and roll them up. Place the stuffed chicken breasts in your baking dish, with the seam side down. If necessary, use toothpicks to secure your breasts. Don’t forget the remove the toothpicks before serving, if using. Bake your apple cranberry chicken rolls covered for 35 minutes or until no longer pink. For the last 5 minutes of cooking, turn your oven to broil and cook uncovered. This will give your chicken a beautiful golden colour. Just watch carefully, making sure not to burn your breasts.
Let the tray rest at room temperature for a few minutes before slicing. This will help the stuffing set. Alternatively, just transfer the cooked chicken to a serving platter, and serve without slicing.
Are you planning an entire holiday menu? For even more delicious recipe ideas, check out this Seriously the BEST Vegan Lasagna! Yup, it’s AMAZING. Start off your menu with this Spiced Sweet Potato Soup.
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts flattened
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or oil of choice (divided)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a small pot, then add the quinoa. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until liquids are absorbed, approx. 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining stuffing ingredients to a small bowl and toss to combine. Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl and mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 9”x12” baking dish with ½ tablespoon of the oil. Use a silicone brush to spread to the corners.
- Working on a clean surface or cutting board, spread your flattened chicken breasts and evenly divide the stuffing mixture among them. Then roll up each breast and secure with toothpicks if necessary. Place them seam side down on your greased baking dish.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over your rolled breasts and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Then cover with parchment paper and aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes, or until no longer pink. Then uncover your chicken and turn the oven to broil on high for an additional 5 minutes, watching carefully not to burn. (This will get your breasts nicely browned without drying them out.)
- Remove from the oven and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before removing the toothpicks and slicing. Serve sprinkled with additional cranberries if desired.