Salads are a great dish, whether it be the main course, or a side. They are extremely versatile. I mean, you can put practically any ingredient into a salad. Try this 7 layer spinach salad with your next barbecue! It adds colour, variety and FRESH flavour to the table and your plate. It provides a much needed fresh bite beside your favourite grilled meats and veggies.
My inspiration for this 7 layer spinach salad?
I opened my fridge, and pulled out all my veggies. Then I took a look at my fruit and veggie bowl sitting on the counter. I started washing and cutting everything up. Then layered them into a glass serving dish. There you have it! The secret is out, haha. My point? It’s so easy to make salad. Just use whatever you have already. There’s really no need to go and buy special ingredients. You can make a salad with any of your favourite fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds or legumes. You may even use any leftovers sitting in your fridge. The sky’s the limit.
I serve mine with this Chili Lime Vinaigrette for an oil free option, or a simple olive oil and balsamic dressing. You may even want to try this Creamy Butter Bean Salad Dressing for added protein and even more YUM.
For more salad inspiration, check out my Not Your Boring Salad using leftover sweet potato noodles!
Or if you want an Asian spin, try my Asian Quinoa Salad. This one was a HUGE hit at a pool party pot luck this summer.
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 cup cooked lentils or canned
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/4 cucumber quartered & sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- Layer all the ingredients in the order listed.
- Optional: Reserve some of the cabbage for the end to garnish the salad and see more of the purple shine through.
- Serve with Chili Lime Vinaigrette.